850 tailgate won't stay open

My 1996 850 wagon tailgate recently started to close on its own when I open it. The tailgate won't stay up but for a few seconds. Is this a common problem and what is the usual culprit or solution? Thanks. Robert

Reply to
<hobbsrob

You could try moving to the Moon - where gravity's a bit less!

Seriously, the gas struts which hold it up are shot - and need to be replaced.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Now I am possibly going mad here, but I don't think my 850 has got struts on the tailgate, not externally visible ones anyway???

Reply to
Me

Reply to
G Klein

You may very well be right! I've just been out to look at my V70, convinced that I'd find struts - and they're not where I expected to see them!!

Seems as if there's some sort of spring/conterbalance arrangement incorporated into the hinges, and hidden under the roof lining.

FIVE MINUTES LATER

Right - now I think we're getting there. I've just had a look in my Haynes Manual (since all else failed!) and apparently there *are* some struts - but you have to remove the rear headlining to get at them. I assume that the 850 Estate (Wagon if you insist!) will be the same in this respect.

Sorry for the earlier confusion.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

My 240 wagon had that problem and it was one of the skinny shock asborber looking things that supports the tailgate. It was only one side that was bad but it was enough not to stay open. Rojo

Reply to
Rojo2G