850 turbo oil light question

Hi all, I've got a '95 850 turbo wagon, about 165,000 miles on it. I saw the oil light come on two weeks ago (just flickered on and went off). I pulled off the road, shut her down and checked the oil, and it was a little low, but not even below the ADD line. I saw it come on, briefly and during acceleration, a couple of times in the last two weeks, so took it in this morning for an oil change. I told the mechanic about the light, but they didn't find anything obvious (this is not a Volvo dealer or foreign car place, but a local mechanic that I've been using for years for general repairs). Later, as I drove it home, the light came on again, and I know the oil isn't low. There is no top-end noise, no lifter noise, and everything seems fine. There is no engine oil smoke, no drips. It sounds exactly the same as it always did. But I'm taught to be extremely afraid anytime an oil light comes on. Anyone have experience with this issue? Is there some oil check level that could be gummed up and registering wrong (best-case scenario) or is it more likely that the light is right, and the problem is the oil is not being circulated to the level it should be? Thanks. South Dakota Tom

Reply to
Thomas M. Keller

check that the wire leading to the pressureswitch doesn't ground with engine movemement.

Reply to
M-gineering

Change the oil pressure sender. You could rig up a test set up for it using air pressure and a test light, but the senders aren't that expensive.. if you are of a mind to, add an oil pressure gauge, and use a sender that has dual outputs- one for the light and one for the gauge. I think VDO makes these.

Thomas M. Keller wrote:

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

The sensor only measures pressure, not level. If the level drops very low there will be a pressure loss but that's an indirect measure of how much oil there is. If the sensing system is OK then too much gap in (mainly) main or big end bearings is letting oil push through too easily. Other wear, such as cylinders and rings, don't register as oil pressure loss. The mechanic should be able to put a gauge on it easily, just make sure it's warm.

Reply to
jg

Oh, and low pressure could indicate a weak oil pump.

Reply to
jg

There is a problem with the white engines that has been known to cause your problem. There are o-rings between the oil pan and the intermidiate section of the engine and also on the oil sump that can crack or become deformed. The pan has to come off to replace these o-rings. The o-rings are available in a kit (8648358). The oil cooler seals and the oil pan sealing compound are sold separately. A good way to verify this problem is to test drive the vehicle several miles, turn off engine and pull the dip stick. If any bubbles or foaming on the stick is noted, this may be your culprit.

Reply to
Ron

Are you sure it's really the oil light? I thought my oil light was flickering on occasionally a while back during acceleration, but when it stayed on for a second or so I finally got a good look at it and then checked the manual. It was the low coolant light.

Reply to
L David Matheny