850 Turbo Platinum Edition written off

Well the 850 Platinum Edition is that much more rare since my beautiful spotless wagon was written off. It died doing its job, protecting me and my family in a crash that left its injuries too expensive for the insurance company to think it worthwhile (just front-end damage). They gave no consideration to condition (immaculate), maintenance (fully dealer maintaned with copmplete regular records), or options (it had every option available).

$4800 is all they gave me :(

So now I have to see what I can get for that money since I don't have much to add to it. Lots of S80 and S70s out there. No V40s in that price range.

Any words of wisdom? I'll be staying away from the few AWD since it's suspicious to find them in that dollar range and I understand they can be a bit costly to maintain. What are S70 or S80s like?

I have a week left on the rental so I need to get something soon. I'm in the southern Ontario/ GTA area.

Thanks, blurp

Reply to
blurp

That's unfortunate, I know someone with the same car that got hit in the rear hard enough to buckle the rear of the body, but it too protected the occupants.

The S70 is pretty much the same as the 850.

Reply to
James Sweet

Would the insurance company sell the car back to you? If the frame and engine were not damaged you might could buy body parts and replace them and get your Platinum back.

OUS

Reply to
<salden9

Forgive my ignorance.........But what is the "Platinum Edition" 850?

Reply to
Alistair Ross

In the simplest terms it's a 1996 850 Turbo with every available option and upgrade plus a snazzy "platinum" paint job (silver pearl over white).

Window sticker details are (as posted by another owner): Make and Model: 1996 Volvo Station Wagon

Vehicle ID No: YV1LW5727T2 ------- (I left off the last 6 numbers)

Importer's Suggested List Price P.O.E.: $38335.00

**** Engine - Driveline - Chassis **** ? 2.3 Liter, 222 HP, 5 Cyl, DOHC, Turbocharged and Intercooled Engine with Electronic Self-Diagnostic Engine Management System ? Four Speed Electronic Automatic Transmission with "Winter", "Sport", and "Economy" Modes ? Front Wheel Drive with MacPherson Strut ? Delta-Link Semi-Independent Steer Link Rear Suspension ? Alloy Wheels with Radial Tires ? 4-Wheel Power Assisted Disc Brakes ? Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) ? Rack and Pinion Power Steering with Tilt/Telescopic

**** Safety Engineering **** ? Unit Body Construction with Integral Passenger Safety Cage/High Strength (HSS) Components and Energy Absorbing Impact Structures ? Volvo Side-Impact Protection System (SIPS) including Drivers and Front Passenger Side-Impact Airbags ? Driver's Supplemental Restraint System (Airbag) ? Front Passenger's Supplemental Restraint System (Airbag) ? 5 3-Poing Safety Belts with Automatic Adjusting Fronts ? Automatic Front Safety Belt Tensioners ? 5 Padded Head Restraints ? Rear Door Child Safety Locks ? Day-Time Running Lights ? Rear Center Child Cushion/Armrest ? 48 Month/50,000 Mile Limited Warranty Coverage, 96 Month Corrosion Protection ** Unlimited Mileage** ? Refer to Warranty Info Book for Specific Limitations

**** Comfort and Convenience **** ? Power Glass Sunroof with Tilt/Slide and Sunshade ? Dual Electronic Automatic Climate Control ? Power Windows with Driver's Side "Autodown" ? Keyless Remote Entry and Security System ? Trip Computer with Ambient Temperature Gauge ? Integrated Rear Seat Cargo Net ? Front Foglights ? Leather Seating Surfaces and Leather Trimmed Steering Wheel ? Walnut Wood Trim on Instrument Panel and Floor Console ? 8-Way Power Driver's & Passenger's Seats with 3-Position Memory ? "Premium Sound System" with Separate 160 Watt Amplifier, In-Dash Single CD Player, AM/FM Stereo, Full Logic Cassette, 8 Speakers and Pre-Wired Optional CD Changer ? Driver and Front Passenger Heated Seats ? Headlamp Wiper/Washer ? TRACS (Traction Control System) ? Rear Center Child Cushion/Armrest ? Cruise Control ? 40/60 Split Folding Rear Seats ? Plush Floor Mats - Front and Rear ? Central Locking with Locking Fuel Lid and Trunk ? Volvo "On Call" Road Assist

Gas Mileage Guide:

? Model: 1996 Volvo 850 Wagon, 2.3 Liter, 5 Cylinder, Turbocharged, Charge Air Cooler, 4 Speed Electronically Controlled Automatic Transmission with Lockup Torque Converter, Electronic Fuel Injection ? City 19 MPG ? Highway 26MPG

Reply to
blurp

Blurp.......Thanks for the info.......I did wonder if it was the US spec'ed

850R

ttfn.....Alistair

Reply to
Alistair Ross

We have the 850R in the US too, the Platinum is different.

Reply to
James Sweet

Can you explain ??

tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Didn't he already explain it? It's just a limited edition model, special paint job, special trim, all the options, and they called it the platinum edition.

Reply to
James Sweet

Sounds like what we could call a CD spec then. Hardly rare in the UK...

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..