850/V70 AirCon Evaporator fixed: when?

Thanks to my 1993 850 GLT having been written off by another's stupid inattention.... I'm shopping for a replacement. Looking at 1998-2001 wagons, and wondering if/when Volvo caught on and fixed the Evap "bug"... anyone?

Thanks,

Kevin

PS - got photos if you want to see what an 850 looks like when T-boned along the axis of the drivetrain by a Civic sedan (which, while much newer, is

*much* more written off!).......
Reply to
K Bourke

IIRC, it was an pretty much industry-wide problem with the introduction of R134a. I guess they made the evaporators of something different and lotsa

1993 and 1994 cars had evaporator leaks. It took a while to identify the problem and determine it was corrosion resulting from dust and pollen collecting in the condensation on the evaporator to make an evil mud. The solution was the addition of cabin filters and, in some cases, running the evaporator fan after the A/C or engine was shut off to dry it. If the model you are looking at has a cabin air filter you should be okay.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've seen cabin filter retro-fit kits advertised on eBay for 850s. What is the procedure for installing such a kit, is it a small, medium, or big deal for do-it-yourselfer?

Thanks, Pat Q

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

That's something I sure don't know... but I bet a few people here do!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Raise the hood. Unscrew the two T25 fasteners nearest the right side hinge. Pinch the hose clamp on the cowl drain and slide away from the nipple. Raise the cowl panel enough to see the fresh air intake scoop. Install the rubber gasket on the edge of the scoop. Run a small amount of silicone around the gasket, or ivory soap, or somethimg else slick that won't attack the rubber, press the filter holder onto the scoop. Snap in the filter. Reinstall the two screws. Refit the hose. Slide the clamp back in place. Close the hood before driving away.:-)

Bob

Reply to
User

Bob - great instructions. Thanks. Pat

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

I installed the Volvo factory kit on my '96 way back when soon after I bought the car. I did it simply to keep dust and junk out of the car and the system as it seemed to be a good idea. So far no failed evaporator on my car.

The installation is easy. Just remove a few screws from the plastic shield below the windshield, lift up the shield, replace and existing slip-on open air intake with the special intake which accepts the filter, then put it back together. 5-20 minute job depending on how comfortable you are doing the work.

John

Reply to
John Horner