850 Wagon, Check engine light?

Can a bad muffler cause the check engine light in my '96 850 wagon to come on?

I had noticed the car was getting a little louder and then the check engine light came on. When I took the car for an oil change my Volvo garage said that there were two codes for the o2 sensor.

They quoted me about $250 for the muffler and about $200 for the sensor.

What I'm wondering is if there is a hole/crack in the muffler, could that create a back draft or something that made the computer say that the o2 sensor was bad?

-Atif

Reply to
Atif

It is probably coincidental that the muffler and O2 sensor are going bad at about the same time.

John

Reply to
John Horner

O.K. thanks the input.

Reply to
Atif

It is certainly possible, especially if the sensor identified is the #2 sensor, the one after the converter. It makes sense to me to have the muffler work done and then see if the O2 sensor codes go away. My hunch is that they will, but that's only a hunch. If the codes point to the #1 sensor, the one before the converter, it is less likely.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Mike, on the receipt under comments it said something like "error code o2 #2"

I didn't know there were two o2 sensors. It has been a few days and the check engine light has NOT come back on yet... I think I'll follow your advice, have the muffler done before having the sensor done, especially if the check engine light doesn't come on right away. I assume if the sensor was really really bad, then it would come on pretty quickly.

Thanks,

-Atif

Reply to
Atif

Sounds good to me. The front O2 sensor provides the feedback to adjust the mixture, while the rear one just monitors the output of the catalytic converter to see if the whole system is working right - particularly the converter. It doesn't take much air on that one to convince it something is wrong. The second sensors were mandated by the US OBDII standard in 1996, but I imagine other countries required them earlier than that.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee