850tdi - OBD2 confusion

Hi! I wanted to buy OBD2 kit for my 11/1996 850tdi imported second hand from Germany, to be able to read error codes, reset them etc...

I was very happy to see 16-pin connector under the OBD2 marked coin holder in front of the gear stick. Looked a little on the web, and everything seemed clear.

BUT, while browsing and deciding which tool I will buy - things got more and more confusing. So, now it seems that my car is not OBD2-ISO compliant and things are not that easy.

I remember that somebody here has experience with 850tdi model. Please, help me with the following stuff...

1) is my 11/1996 850tdi OBD2 compliant? 2) which cable & interface & software combo can I use for sure? - ElmScan ISO 9141/14230 (
) - Vol-FCR (
) - Volvo VADIS 3) what cables & hardware do I need to use Volvo VADIS? 4) which pins on my car's OBD2 connector should be wired? 5) is it possible to read & clear EGR, Air Mass Sensor errors? 6) any other hints on 850tdi - OBD2 stuff greatly appreciated...

Thnx a lot.

Reply to
Drnya

One more question . . .

Is it the same for a 1997-9 V70 TDi? [Same engine, almost same body, ODB2 connector inside storage box under centre armrest]

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Hi,

Look at my answers to each question line.

Best regards Per

Ans: No, the engine use Bosch MSA 15.7 ECU which has no OBD2 command language

Ans: Don't look into that solution - it is for a Volvo garage

Ans: You can buy assembled cable together with VOL-FCR or find one that can assemble yourself on e.q. ebay

Ans: Yes and much more.....

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

"Bonnet Lock" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Ans: The ECU must be Bosch MSA 15.8 to support OBD2.....

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

I believe that mine is 15.8

This being the case, where can I get a definitive list which explains what all the codes mean - in case I ever buy an ODB2 interface?

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Try

I do not have specific for Volvo.

Best regards

"Bonnet Lock" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

Thanks - but the link doesn't seem to work. Are you sure it's correct?

Reply to
Bonnet Lock
850 Tdi and SV70 Tdi using MSA15.7 are not OBDII compliant.

Vol-FCR will work but reads fault codes only, but it will do every other system in your car as well. (Works with cheap 9 pin serial leads for VAG-COM, search the net for these, you must have a PC with a 9 pin serial port)

VAG-COM will work on engine (diesel pump) only, the engine is an Audi unit, try the shareware version.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
OBD

I have a 2000MY V70 TDI MSA15.8

Can you please advise me what hardware and software I would need to interrogate the OBD2 socket on my car - and where to find information about the codes, so as to be able to understand what it's telling me.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

Can you explain how to set up VAG-COM for the diesel pump and a 850 TDI?

I have tried but without succes. It seems that VAG-COM does not recognise the ECU in the Volvo and Audi uses Digifant ECU.

Thanks Per

"OBD" skrev i en meddelelse news:42ac0048$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

As far as I know the only why to communicate with MSA 15.8 is using the dealer Vadis cart.

Reply to
OBD

From memory the diesel pump is accessed via address 41 in VAG-COM.

Reply to
OBD

Just tried it and got the following message:

Controller uses unknown protocol. Error code: D3B0

Do you know about any work arounds?

The interface test is ok!

Thanks Per

"OBD" skrev i en meddelelse news:42ac8d7b$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

Try

L David Matheny

THNX very much for all the answers.

If anyone is interested - here is the wiring of my 11/1996 850tdi non OBD2 compliant, but OBD2 marked connector - the following pins are wired:

-1,3,4,5,6,7,13,16.

BTW, all my search for the OBD2 kit began, cause last week I have experienced loss of power and overall low performance, and the check engine light lit up. Car goes well but acceleration is slow. Fuel consumption is the same, no engine oil consumption, no coolant missing etc. Drove about 800 kms since...

The only additional thing is some blue smoke after the cold start in the morning. Blue smoke stops after few kms.

I have cleaned and checked the EGR valve. It was only a little dirty. I have also checked various hoses for leaks (maybe not all???). Also checked the electr. connectors, and inspected the resistance and supply voltage to electromagnetic pressure converter as described in the PDF below.

FYI - the EGR valve and EPW from the PDF are the same. Check the PDF it may be useful to you :-)

The only thing left to suspect is the Air Mass Sensor. Well, I hope it is not the case. I do hope that I may be missing some punctured hose / tube or bad wires?

Please does anyone have any ideas?

I have booked the repair shop on thursday morning, and I am afraid :-)

Thnx.

Reply to
Drnya

Ah, that's better - thanks! [I didn't notice that the previous one was dyslexic].

Reply to
Bonnet Lock