855 TDI 1997 auxiliary belt tensioner loosening tool?

Re: 855 TDI 1997

According to the Haynes repair manual there should be a square hole in the auxiliary belt tensioner bracket center to engage with a square piece to loosen the tensioner. In my 855 TDI there is a round hole, even palpating deeply with my little finger does not reveal anything angular. There is a rectangular 11 x 5 mm shallow hole on the bracket elsewhere. Is this the place to engage (with a specially formed piece) or is there any other trick?

After upgrading from my 745 TD to the 855 TDI I finally have a car where I will not be able to do live saving operations like changing the belt and alternator brushes myself with simple tools in the middle of nowhere.

Thankful for any small advice

Viktor

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

On a diesel you use a 15 mm key on a point on top of the tensioner to turn it away from the belt. Cant explain it better in english sorry.

Greetings Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

"Niels Bengaard" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:evtofa$2t4q$ snipped-for-privacy@newsbin.cybercity.dk...

Hi Niels,

No problem with the English. I think I understood. You meant the protruding part on the bracket. I checked immediately. The 15 did not fit, but the 16 did. I had already thought about using pliers there, but the key is of course better. Thanks a lot again for your useful advice.

I used to travel from Austria through the Baltic countries to Finland with the old 745 TD and was confident that most mechanics would be able to manage problems with it there, too. I never needed anything though. Now with the 855 TDI I am not so sure any more. We will fly anyway this year.

Thanks, Viktor

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl