86 240dl power steering problems

My 86 240dl emits a sqeaking sound and loss of power steering ability when turning at a stop (like coming out of a parking space, etc). I checked the fluid and it looks full.

Its kind of like something is slipping...the power steering seems to die for a minute and come in and out. Once i'm on the road everything is cool.

any advice on what this is?

mileage is a little over 169000

Also i just had the timing belt, water pump, and main seals replaced about 3 weeks ago. When im on the highway, the temp gauge seems to rise suddenly...not to the point of overheating but almost to the red. i usually blast the heater and it goes down and then does not return.

what could this be?

thanks!

Reply to
noisemedia

Sounds like your belts may be slipping to me. You might have the mechanic who did the recent work check things over again. Just my two cents worth.

Reply to
DE Retiree

Sounds like it's just a loose or worn belt, the rubber bushings that mount the power steering pump are probably shot as well, that can make it hard to tension the belt correctly.

Reply to
James Sweet