86 740 2 part hub conversion

Hi folks, subject car is 1986 740 Turbo Intercooler.

It still has the 1 piece rotor, and I need to convert to 2 piece. I have a frozen caliper, and don't want to spend money on the old setup.

I have a 1988 740 GLE for parts. My plan is to remove the hubs from the 88 and put them on the 86.

Will they fit?

What can I expect during the conversion, and do I need additional parts other than the spindle nut and new cap?

Do I remove everything from the 86 including the inner race, and then the 2 piece hub from the 88 just slips on?

Also, I read the brickboard stuff on the hubs, and I'm confused about what it says about a race slipping out of the hub, and you have to put it back and then hold it somehow during installation....????? Can someone translate that or expand on that for me?

I'll also be doing the jumbo brake upgrade....

thanks much, Glenn

Reply to
/g

As I recall, 1988 has a larger spindle and different hub design, so if that's the case you will need to swap the whole strut assemblies. Pop the cap off the '88 and see if it has a castle nut with a cotter pin or the later style locknut.

The older style has a conventional wheel bearing that you pack with grease and assemble. The later type uses ball bearings permanently mounted in the hub assemblies.

Reply to
James Sweet

The 86 Turbo has the old style 1 piece hub with adjustable/packable bearings.

The 88 parts car has the new style 2 piece hub.

I want to put the 88 hub on the 86. If the spindle is different, then no, the 88 part won't fit.

I was hoping that things didn't change that much between years. I'll be tearing things down today and take a look.

thanks, /glenn

Reply to
/g

There are three different hub designs. There is the old one piece hub with the bearing races pressed into the hub which is part of the brake rotor. Then there is the updated hub with the bearing races pressed into a hub which is separate from the brake rotor, then there is the newest design starting in '88 or '89 in which the bearings are ball bearing units permanently installed in the hub which fits on a larger spindle. If your parts car has the original separate hub/brake assemblies that fit on the older spindle with conventional bearings then it's a straight swap.

Reply to
James Sweet

Excellent! That's the type of distinction I was looking for. I'll pull the hub off the parts car and see what bearings are in it.

I did hit the 'yards this morning, and no older 740's around. I called the dealer and list is $145 each for the conversion hubs. I get a discount, so I'll pay a bit less than that if I go with the dealer. I have a couple of other options that I've run across that I need to check.

Thanks for the info. /glenn

Reply to
/g

Screw the dealer, the only time I ever set foot in there is when I need a part that is absolutely not available anywhere else. FCP Groton, alloemvolvoparts.com and one other that escapes me at the moment are where I get most of my parts.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've got a bit more information and another question. When I talked with the dealer a while ago, I got the part number for the hub that's used in the conversion. It is

3516126, and costs about $140. In looking for a better price on that I found an alternative part on the swedish auto parts site. That part number is 3516128 and costs about $65.

The description gives the 128 number as used with vented rotors. The

126 is used with vented rotors but says Girling (for the caliper?).

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the two parts? I'll try to call swedish if I have time tomorrow.

My intention is to use one of the above hubs with the jumbo brake conversion, using rotors and calipers intended for a 92 to 95 940. I believe those calipers are girling.

thanks again for any help, /glenn

Reply to
/g

It looks like that might be the whole hub and spindle assembly, not sure, I've never tried to remove the spindle to see if that's what it looks like.

The wheel bearings for the older style hub look like 271703, and the later style hub with the integral bearings looks like 271645. My car has ABS, so that may be part of the confusion here.

I recently had to replace the hubs on mine which came from a 1989 model as I recall, and the ABS tone wheels were not the same, I had to remove the wheels from the old hubs (ended up having to bore out the hub in a lathe to get them off intact) and then press them onto the new hubs.

Reply to
James Sweet

So, 2 months later, and I think I found a better solution.

The conversion part was dealer only, for $140 per side. The $65 part is obsolete, no longer available.

I finally found time to talk to the folks at a local 'yard, and he offered a full strut with rotor and caliper for $50 per side, or $100 total. I walked the yard, and found a 92 960 with what appears to be brand new rotors and pads. Not sure how old the calipers are, but I'm hoping they were replaced at the same time. I pulled them last saturday, now I just need to install them.

The car getting these is a turbo and I had replaced the strut inserts with KYB's, so I'll transfer those and the springs from the turbo onto the new struts, and I should be all set from that point. Other than an alignment.

Thanks for the help, /glenn

Reply to
/g

If you have ABS on your car, make sure the tone wheels on the hubs are the same, they used at least two different types, one having many more teeth than the other. I don't know for certain, but I don't believe they are compatible.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks James. Nope, non ABS. And, being old-school, that's fine with me. Less crap to fail...........

/glenn

Reply to
/g

Reply to
jrobertson

Wow !!!!!!! Can you say timewarp??? I did this conversion late July

2010 !!!!!! 2.5 years ago..... ???

/glenn

Reply to
/glenn