'87 240 Dl A/C problem

My air conditioner will only cool down to outside temperature. This is only a problem with the A/C the heat works fine. Also when I turn my blower up past the second level it makes a really loud noise while blowing. Any ideas as to what causes these problems?

Reply to
K_enny_D

It's probably low on refrigerant.

What kind of noise? 240 blowers are notoriously noisy, if it's screeching though the motor is shot.

Reply to
James Sweet

Refrigerant undoubtedly low but w/ an '87, unless system has been rebuilt before, you may be getting into an expensive fix. Decide how much you need ac and what you are willing to spend to get it working well, or how much you're willing to throw away for a "possible" quick fix. The blower motor is on the way out, but it may last for years (son's '87 lasted over 6 years for beginning of screeching). There is a procedure for lubing the motor bearings which does help and is worth the effort. Someone will post it (or you can google it).

Reply to
Bill Stehlin

i've added refrigerant before, thats not it. I was thinking (actually hoping) it might be a cracked condenser because i could fix that, anything else is probably out of my range.

The blower is not so much screeching as well I dont know how to describe it just loud. It also sounds like there is something inside the motor rattling around.

Reply to
K_enny_D

The blower motor has a blade on both sides held on by a c-cilp. sometimes they break or come loose causing a noise. They also have wieghts to balance them and they can come loose. They also just break. It's hard to diagnoise without taking the housing apart. It's a fairley expensive job just to get in there. Most shops will charge 4 1/2 hr.s . Change the motor in any case. You'll save money in the long run.

Reply to
Rod Gray