87 240 DL Rear Speaker wiring

Hey all!

I have an 87 volvo 240 wagon, and I'm looking to install some good rear speakers, but I don't know exactly what I need to do for the wiring.

To start off, the stereo, which is the dealer upgrade digital display cassette deck, has an integrated fader, which seems to work. (It fades off the front speakers when you push it so it could fade to back, if they were there.) From what I could find this means that it already has the 4 speaker amp installed instead of the 2 speaker amp. Am I right in assuming this?

Also, is the rear speaker wiring run by default, or is there a way I can find if it's been installed by the dealer? (This car had only been dealer serviced when I bought it.)

If the wiring isn't installed, what would be the best (read: fastest and least destructive) way to install it?

(The speakers are a pair of custom built boxes that should fit into the back against the wheel wells.)

Thanks in advance, Nick

Reply to
wakarimasu

The wiring is dealer installed when the optional rear speakers are ordered. It runs from the center console over to the side, behind the footwell carpet, tucked under the carpet after removing the plastic strip along the base of the door between the carpet and metal, and then behind the upholstery into the body shell to the rear speaker locations.

Reply to
James Sweet

[thread hijack] Where do the 'factory' rear speakers hide? Are they built into the side panels in the cargo area? I've been wanting some in my '83 245 but can't see anywhere to put them (short of building boxes to slide around in the back) [/thread hijack]
Reply to
clay

Depends on the year. In the earlier cars they mount in the small triangular upholstery pieces just behind the rear doors. In the later cars that have plastic panels covering the pillars the speakers mount in the bottom of the door panels up near the front of the back doors. In both cases they're the same crummy little 4" speakers used in the front and few aftermarket speakers will fit.

Reply to
James Sweet

I got some 4" Polks in the front doors. Had to use the bezel as a spacer... speaker on top of the bezel instead of behind it. Did some grinding on the bezels to match the contours of the door panel. Snipped off the four plastic chi chi's that located the old speaker. Hammered out the grills to clear the tweeter cone. Grills snap into the bezel and hide the mounting screws. They sound great. I'll bet I can do the same in the rear.

Reply to
clay

You probably can, keep in mind though that if you use the stock location in the pillars the speakers can't stick out very far since you need clearance to fold the rear seat down. This is less of a problem in the door panels but do test fit everything before you start cutting.

Reply to
James Sweet