87 740 turbo no power through ignition

parked the baby at night and in the morning no-go: Turn the key and no power comes on at all (no lights, etc, not to mention the engine). battery is fine and so are the fuses. can start her up using jumper cables though, but as soon as I turn the ignition off the only way to start her up again is through the cables. anything I can look at before taking her to the mechanic's?

Reply to
CovertSpy

If it fires with a jump start but not with its own battery I would suspect the battery has gone south. Have you got another battery to test this? Or can you take the battery out and take it to a shop to test it? I know you said the battery is fine, are the battery leads on tight, mebbe putting a crocodile clip from the jump leads over them is causing a good contact?

Stuart.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I too would suspect the battery, but if there's a bad connection between the battery and one of the big cable terminals, you could see this problem as well. Jumper cables bypass this connection because you connect them directly to the terminals. If you're doing the jump starting as you're supposed to, connecting the negative cable to the engine block, so your last connection is not made near the battery, you're then bypassing the whole negative cable, so that could be suspect too.

Reply to
Mike F