87 volvo 240 air intake pipe and thermostat

Just found my 87 240 has had the pipe going from the air intake box to the exh. manifold is eaten away- is this a requirement or can I just cover that hole in the box and just have cold air coming in? I know I would have to defeat the thermostat in the box - any ideas are appreciated. ignatz

-- Message posted using

information at

ignatz

It depends on your climate. if you live in a place with mild winters and hot summers, you're actually better off with a cold air only intake - the valve on the box can stick shut and 'cook' the AMM with hot air. If you live in a place with frigid winters, you should replace the assembly. If your climate is in between, try it with no preheater and see if it runs ok cold.

Reply to
Leftie

Thanks for you input on this- I think I will give it a try with just the cold air input - in Cleveland our winter temps average about 32 F - thanx, bob

-- Message posted using

information at

ignatz