'88 240 Stalling When Hot

Wanted to see if anyone could help with my stalling problem on an '88

240...

Car starts fine, purrs like a kitten at idle, and runs very smoothly at speed. However, there's a slight hitch in getting to cruising speed - between 1500-2100 RPM, it stalls repeatedly. It only does it when the engine is warm. It doesn't appear to be an ignition problem, since the tach needle only drops to about 1000 RPM before it picks up again. Sometimes, it won't pick up again until I press the pedal to the floor. Seems as if something is interrupting the fuel flow for a second, or longer on some occasions.

I've replaced the fuel pump relay, cleaned all of the grounds, checked the main fuel pump fuse in the engine compartment and cleaned the fuse block inside the car. I've also cleaned the electrical connections on the AMM, the knock sensor, the coil and pretty much any other connections on the left side of the engine. The car also has a new cap, rotor and coil. I've pulled the in-tank pump, cleaned the "sock" and used some Techron injector cleaner recently. The O2 sensor is about 2 years old. I've changed the fuel filter, pulled the in-tank pump and cleaned the "sock," cleaned all the fuel system grounds and connections, and this past weekend swapped the AMM. None of this has helped at all, and the problem seems to be getting worse.

What's left to check? What other signals govern the fuel flow? Could it be the hall sensor in the distributor? And could someone tell me what the heck a hall sensor does, exactly? :)

Thanks for any help...

Ed

Reply to
bartleby

I had a similar problem- but it was for my VW Beetle. It would stall and get a vapour lock in hot weather. I couldn't start it again for over an hour+ maybe two. the solution was to replace the fuel pump with a pierburg (larger pump). It works ok now.

Reply to
Wylie Wilde