'88 240 Tailgate Wiring Harness

The left tailgate wiring harness on my '88 wagon has broken at the hinge. I've found a new complete harness. Does anyone know if this is the sort of thing I can replace myself? I have lost my 3rd brake light, license plate lights, rear defrost, and rear wiper! I'd like to just replace the whole harness, but I'm not sure if it is a job I can tackle on my own. Thank you!

Reply to
Jesse

Jesse laid this down on his screen :

I live in AZ and have an '88 wagon with 325K miles. I have had to do it twice on each side. It is amazingly simple. There is a separate harness for each side. If I remember correctly, the right is worse than the left. I just did it one side at a time, and made sure I supported the side I was working on adequately. I would suggest doing them both at once. They are probably close to equally worn, and then you only have to pull the gate apart once.

Good luck!

John

Reply to
John von Colditz

Instructions are at

IPD is usually a good source for instructions!

John

Reply to
John von Colditz

Jesse formulated on Sunday :

Based on your symptoms, both harnesses are bad. Wiper is on the right, defrost and lights are on the left.

John

Reply to
John von Colditz

Here's another.

Reply to
clay

Yeah replace them both. If one breaks, the other is not far behind.

Stupid design really, one of the few places they really bungled on the 240.

Reply to
James Sweet