88 volvo 240DL will not fire up?

88 volvo 240DL will not start?

engine turns over fine, has spark, and has fuel as it?s flooding the engine, strongly smells of gas!!

what else could be the problem. car ran fine up until we changed the spark plugs and wires? AND we noticed since its been colder then when i last drove it? could the cold be the problem?

i recently bought the car so i do not know its history. :roll: is there a cold start injector somewhere?

Reply to
dosvolvo

Unplug the air mass meter and see if it starts. Also carefully inspect the engine wiring harness for crumbling insulation, '88 may or may not have the updated harness.

Reply to
James Sweet

Perry Noid

And that the wire hasn't pulled out of the connector inside. I've had that happen on a couple occasions, if they're old it might not hurt to replace them.

Reply to
James Sweet

james sweet, thanks for the tip on disconnect the air mass meter...you were right! :D kinda backwards...now it starts up with it DISCONNECTED?? with it connected it turns over and floods the engine, but will not start...but DISCONNECTED it starts no problem? so odd?

once its running for a few min. we re-connected it and it sounded/ran even better...

so i think i just need a NEW air mass meter..they cost $250 on vlvworld.com 8O

i?ll search eBay first...or does anyone else have suggestions as to where i can get one?

thanks so much for your suggestion!!! :D

Reply to
dosvolvo

With the AMM disconnected, the ECU goes into limp mode. It will start and run, but it won't run very well and you will get terrible gas mileage.

Suggest first cleaning the connectors and see if that helps. Failing that, check salvage yards and ebay for a good used one or buy a rebuilt from one of the online discount places. Make sure the Bosch part number matches the one on yours.

Reply to
James Sweet

A bad AMM can drive you crazy. I found three to fit my car at the local Pick 'n Pull. Mounted all 3 on my car (one at a time) to test them. Replaced the one that failed, and vac sealed another and put it in the fender storage well in my 245... just in case. cost? $25 each. Cheap rebuilds were around $175 at the time iirc.

And as James stated, be SURE that the numbers are the same.

Reply to
Randy G.

thanks for all your help and suggestions everyone!! I found a used AMM on eBay (matching part # and all) for $67 incl. shipping, thank god! :D used it was $250; new it was $600?! 8O

i think i will occasionally go to the pick n?pull to see if i can get a spare one should this ever happen again. i had no such luck on the weekend...all the volvo?s AMM were gone...

we figure that the AMM wires were damaged bc the guy who i bought the Volvo from did not have the air filter attached properly so we think that some debris got in and damaged the AMM wires?? i?ve never had to replace the AMM on my 1990 240 DL...

anyhow hopefully this was the only problem, and the last! :wink:

mucho gracias!

Reply to
dosvolvo

They just fail sometimes, no real rhyme or reason, though a bad preheat thermostat will kill one in short order, it's why I always remove the preheat hose on these cars, it's not needed in this climate. If yours is intact, do check that.

I keep a spare AMM around too, they're under 10 bucks at the local Pull A Part so worth grabbing.

Reply to
James Sweet