'89 240... power window problem

In the 3 years I've owned my '89 240 wagon, the right front (passenger) power window has never worked right. I can use the driver's side switches to lower and raise the other 3 windows, but I can't get the Right Front window to lower unless I use the switch on that door. Interestingly, I can use my driver-door switch to raise that window, just not lower it. I've checked to see that the connectors are attached, and even sprayed a little contact cleaner into the switches to try and fix it, but no go. I'm guessing there may be a broken wire, or perhaps a relay? Anyone know what would be the most likely cause, and what I could do (cheaply) to fix it???

m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Frank Furter

The most common failure is the switch itself.

Reply to
James Sweet

All the switches are the same. Grab one of the switches on a rear door, unplug the suspect switch from the front door harness and try the rear door switch in it's place.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks! I didn't expect them to be the same, very convenient if one fails on the road!!! I just replaced the defective driver-side switch with one from a local junkyard, works fine. Wish I had tried that 3 years ago!

m9876c at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Frank Furter

Happened to me on our 340 and 740. Easy to repair.

Remove switch, pull switch apart but do this sloley as it contains a metal rocker with contacts on, two balls and two springs. Clean the contacts on the rocker bar and the corresponding areas and reassemble.

Volvo usually try and sell U a new switch for silly money - but then if volvo fix for you it is probably cheaper forking out for new switch than having them spend time fiddling with a repair.

Reply to
andy coles