'89 240 - start inhibitor switch and gear selector gate problem

Hey Folks,

I've searched archives and various web pages and still haven't sound what I need, so... I have an '89 240 automatic. The start inhibitor switch is pooching out, I have been able to extend its life thus far by adding a couple of washers to one of the mounting screws to increase the contact, but it is time for a replacement. Also, the grey plastic C-shaped thing under the gear selector (IPD says this part is the gear selector gate, which they don't carry) has broken completely and also needs to be replaced. What happens now is that when the car is in park, the shifter is further forward, almost touching the ashtray, and the car won't start unless you pull the shifter back slightly.

My question(s) though:

Can both of these be replaced without disassembling the whole shifter box from the transmission? I am having the transmission seal replaced tomorrow and I would like to save whatever money I can by doing the other repairs myself. The inhibitor switch seems easy enough to replace but the selector gate looks more involved.

Anyone out there have any experience with these?

Thanks in advance folks.

--

-- geech

Reply to
geech

Remove the driver's side right kick panel. Undo the black plug and blue plug that receive the wires from the transmission. Undo the two Phillips head screws in front of the shift cover, lift the front slightly, slide back and raise up. Connect a piece of coat hanger to the wires you disconnected and pull them under the carpet back to the shifter. Pushthe carpet out of the way and remove the four six mm screws holding the shifter box in place. Go under the car and unclip the shift rod from the shift lever extension. Unplug the white wire for the overdrive solenoid. Go back upstairs and wrestle the whole mess out of the car. Set the box upside down in a vise. Remove the shifter extension piece. 13mm wrench. Remove the three six mm screws on the bottom of the box. Remove the shift lever. Jeez I forget the rest exactly. Anyway you have to pry out the shift release button and remove the spring underneath. Remove the O/D lockout switch and unplug the wires. Fish them out of the knob. Pull off the knob. Punch out the roll pin on the bottom pivot. Push out the pivot pin, move the shifter handle up, use a big mama phillips to remove the two screws holding the selector gate. Reassemble in reverse order pulling the wires back under the carpet with the coat hanger. Use loctite on the selector gate screws.

The whole bucket will come up through the tunnel, be patient but firm in your resolve.

Good luck,

Bob

Reply to
radietz

Wow! Thanks for the details Bob!

geech

Hey Bob,

What is your opinion on the risk level of leaving it as is (without the selector gate) for a month or so? I just got the car back from having the tranny seals redone and they fixed the slipping of the shifter position I mentioned in my initial post so that it nows starts as it should, shifter in normal position, etc.

I just want to wait a bit and do more research before diving in.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Reply to
geech

Years ago, I had an old '79 toyota with a bad shifter switch.... some days it would work, some it wouldn't. I finally just bypassed it completely with a wire jumper. Found out that if I had the tranny in DRIVE and bumped the starter switch, I could move the car forward a little. Figuring that might come in handy someday, I just left it like that, never had any problems.... Once I had a truck that ran out of gas in the middle of an interesection. I was able to use the starter to get it to the other side safely, since the truck had a manual tranny....

Reply to
Frank Furter