89 240 wagon Help

Hello,

My question is does this problem sound familiar to anyone?

I have a 1989 240 (190K miles) wagon that seems to missfire and shake at the stop lights. It feels like every few seconds its trying to compensate for something by knd off "catch - up rev". Its hard to explain. I will try harder to explain.

- When i start cold, the car appears to be humming normally.

- After It warms up a bit, Thats when I get the 2 second "off purr" if you understand my meaning.

- Then it shakes when i get to a stop like.

- It idles hard and seems like its trying to make up for the "off purr" by idleing fast for the next second.

- Its like: brrrrr, BRRRRRRRR, brrrrrrrrrrr, BRRRRRRRR. Shake Shake Shake Back Fire!!!

- I looked under the car and saw the whole thing from engine to exhaust shaking and backfire'ing.

I stink at getting my point accross.

So far Ive spent $600 on tune ups, Alternator work and what I thought was a diagnosis for the problem. But now I dont believe what the mechanic says. He didnt diagnos the problem. He called his buddy at a volvo dealer and buddy TOLD him what he THOUGHT it might be. Im forced to try to fix it myself But where is my starting point??

Ben

Reply to
Volvo89_240wagon