'89 740 GL fuel tank

Hi,

my friend went to a gas station and according to the receipt they filled 59 litres into the tank of my '89 740GL. Usually I drive the car until the gas meter is way into red. As I never managed to fill in more than 43-44 litres this looks pretty strange to me....

Does anybody of you guys know, how big a tank a 740GL carries with it?

Thanks for any information and have a nice sunday,

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Affolter

According to my handbook, my '87 740 has a tank capacity of 60 litres (13.2 UK gallons), so your friend was running pretty close to the wire.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Yes, 60 Litres.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

Thank you Stewart, thank you Peter!

In this case, my tank meter is some kind of wrong. I always wondered why a

2.3l-engine with a consumption of about 10l/100km only takes 45 or 50 litres. And this in a car that comes from sweden where there is'nt a gas station around every corner.

My friend was obviously very lucky, since he admitted not to have watched the tank meter for a long time. ...and the man at the gas station is not a cheater....

Have a nice week, Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Affolter

Main fuel tank under the car is 60 litres. Some models have an auxiliary fuel tank in the boot (trunk) which holds 22 litres, bringing the total to

82 litres. Auxiliary tank is standard equipment here in Australia, optional in other markets I believe. I've put in 78 litres before when I deliberately ran it close to the limit, while doing Brisbane - Sydney trips and pushing my endurance.

Only sedan's can be fitted with the auxiliary tank, estate's (wagon's) does not have this option. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Where exactly does this tank mount? I wouldn't mind adding one to my car if it's possible.

Reply to
James Sweet

It mounts just behind the rear passenger seat in the boot / trunk. It connects up to the main talk via an L shaped rubber hose under the car, thus acting as one large 82 litre tanks, no switching of tanks required. This rubber hose is prone to cracking and causing fuel leak, and needs to be replaced every 5 - 7 years but it's only $10 - $15. Since the auxiliary tank sits higher than the main tank, it is only filled when the fuel quantity exceeds 60 litres. Your trunk floor already has an opening pre-cut for the installation, which is covered up by a hatch for models without the auxiliary tank. It has its own fuel sender which is wired in series with the main tank sender. Your fuel gauge is already designed to read from both tanks, all you need to do is to remove a screw for Yazaki or clip for VDO on the back of the fuel gauge to change the reading from 60 litres to 82 litres.

The auxiliary fuel tank option seems quite rare in the States, I have only seen ONE 700 series on eBay US with the auxiliary fuel tank, and it was a Turbodiesel. You do loose a little bit of your trunk space but depending on what type of driving you do, you might find it a worthwhile trade-off to carry extra fuel. The moulded carpet lining in the trunk is also shaped differently to cover the auxiliary fuel tank. If you're really keen on the conversion and you couldn't find any parts in the States, I can send the parts to you from Australia if you don't mind the shipping cost. Since they're standard equipment for the Australian market it's very easy to find them here. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

That's interesting, losing trunk space doesn't appeal much to me, but the extra fuel capacity sounds cool. I noticed the screw on the back of the clusters in these, I've just never once seen a car that had the aux tank. Too bad they couldn't find a place to squeeze it in under the car.

Reply to
James Sweet

If you want additional fuel without loosing your trunk space, you have another option - convert your live rear axle to an IRS setup! The fuel tank for the live rear axle is on one side of the driveshaft only, since the space on the other side of the driveshaft is occupied by the rear subframe and torque rods. On IRS there is no rear subframe, and the fuel tank occupies the additional space, in a saddle shape tank to clear the driveshaft. IRS tanks are also 80 litres. _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)

Reply to
William Liao

Now that'd be an interesting project, what all is involved? I suppose then I'd have to deal with the dreaded Nivomats.

Reply to
James Sweet

Actually I was just browsing the specs on owners webring after I made that last post, and I found a third option for you in getting more fuel capacity. From '93 onwards all 940 sedan / wagon comes with a 19.8 USGal (75 litre) fuel tank. Even though it's not as impressive as the 82 litre, it's still a good 25% increase over the 60 litre tank. I haven't seen how different the

75 litre tanks are to the 60 litre ones, but I'd say its worthwhile pulling one off a '93 or later model and try to fit it in your 740. If you do I'd be interested in knowing how you went, because I may even do that to my 740 as well, which means I'll have 75 + 22 = 97 litres (25.6 gallons)!!! _________________ Will '90 Volvo 744 GLT B230F converted to B230FB (531 Head & VX3 Cam)
Reply to
William Liao

What is the point in trying to have such extra fuel capacity. Each additional gallon of fuel adds 10lbs in weight. I never fill me tank right up, I run from half to empty at all times unless on a long run. We are carrying around millions and millions of gallons of fuel for no good reason

Reply to
no

Long runs, as it is on a drive from here to Kamloops BC or central Oregon I fill it up when I leave and coast into town on fumes. On the way home if I've driven around town at all after filling up I have to fill up yet again before I get home. If I had the option of carrying an extra few gallons of fuel I wouldn't have that problem. Just having an aux tank wouldn't mean I'd have to fill it all the time.

Reply to
James Sweet