'89 740 parking brake cable replacement

The parking brake cable on my 740 snapped and needs to be replaced, does anyone out there have any tips or something I need to note when I replace it? Unfortunately I do not have a service manual so I'd like know the easiest way to change it.

Thanx in advance,

Norbert

Reply to
Norbs

From a point at sea, to the circles of your mind, this is Norbs:

It's a two part cable. The main part is a bowden cable (cable in a semi-rigid sleeve) that runs from the handbrake inside to the RR wheel. Then there is a link to a short cable that connects to the other wheel.

You will need to remove the centre console around the handbrake lever, and be able to remove the rear wheels.

If you find the adjuster runs off the end of its thread and won't tighten enough you need new brake shoes as well.

It was around your year that Volvo 'superceded' the original cables with ones from a later model. If you fall into this category Volvo will tell you that you will need to replace the expanders inside the brake drums as well as the cable. Here in the UK it meant replacement cost about 5 times the original cost of cables alone. In that case hunt around for a good aftermarket cable that matches the original spec.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav