'89 740T - Heard muffled click, now dash lights on

I (still) have that 740 Turbo GLE, automatic trans. 160,000 miles. Yesterday coming home from the grocery store I heard a loud muffled click in front of me and to the left, and right then most of my dash lights came on: ABS, Service Engine, Battery, Brake, Parking Brake, Bulb out, Wiper fluid low. The car still runs, it's just alarming to look down and see all those lights blaring back at me. So, what's the scoop?

Reply to
Katrina

Your alternator has failed. All the warning lights come on when the alternator is not working as a bulb check, as when you turn the ignition on before you start the car. First check the belt, otherwise a rebuilt alternator is in order.

Reply to
Mike F

Whoa, before dropping a few hundred on a rebuilt alternator it's worth checking the regulator/brush pack. That's the only part of a Bosch alternator I've ever had fail and they're under 50 bucks.

Reply to
James Sweet

The belt doesn't squeal, so it probably is a bad alternator and not the belt. I've ordered a new belt just in case and I have found a rebuilt alternator for $100. Are they pretty easy to install? Are there some instructions on swedishbricks website?

Reply to
Katrina

The link will tell you what you need to know, just ignore the part about replacing the bushings.

Reply to
zencraps