89 Volvo no spark or gas

I have a 1989 740 GLe volvo. A while ago my father had been looking inside the engine compartment and had seen that the PCV valve had a broken vacume hose piece on it which we recently fixed. He had also seen a weird little computer gadget on the drivers side under the hood that looks like a test. He had taken the top clip off of it to see what it was and after that it has not been able to start since. We had asked the volve dealer what that thing was but he said he'd have to take a look at at and that he didn't know what it could be. It isn't in the volvo repair manual that we have either.It says volvo right on it so i assume it is a volvo part but i didn't think thats what it was. I have been doin several checks on it since that happened and i pulled the spark plugs to see if it was gettin spark and it was at first. Then i checked to see if it was getting gas from the injectors and then they weren't workin so i assumed that was the problem. I heard that sometime the injector relays come loose from time to time so i messed with that a little and then i rechecked them. I got excited because they were working after that. As i went to start the car it still would not start. I went back to check the spark again, and now i am not gettin any spark and not sure if when reinstallin the injectors if i am gettin gas from the injectors either cranking it over seeing that i was not gettin any gas shooting from the #1 cylinder. I am very clueless at this point as what could be the problem. I have checked all the fuses and all of them seem to be ok at this time. The relays i have not checked again. I would like to have a volvo dealer do a diagnostic on the vehicle but as i am about an hour away from the nearest dealer and no one in town does diagnostics on volvos I am kind of in a bind because the cost of towing it would be great. I would greatly aprreciate any input and thank you very much for your time.

Reply to
jdboy

Jan-Erik Drangevåg

Thre are some eyars of VOlvos that had faulty engine wiring harnesses. Do a google as there is a website that deals specifically with this problem.

The computer test point maybe?

If the car has electronic ignition and you allowed the thing to fire with a spark plug not being grounded you could have damaged the electronic ignition module. SOme are so sensiive that even turnign the motor over by hand with the ignition on and a spark plug wire disconnected can blow the module. __ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

This will sound crazy, but we had the exact same problem - total headache. We'd mess with something, think we had the problem solved, the car would work and then the next day it would not start. It would always turnover, but not always start. We broke down at the beach (after we thought we had the car fixed) and took it to a mechanic I knew when I used to live out there. We tried and tested everything. He even had a spare volvo we were swithching parts off of. Finally, he sprayed just a little started fluid in the intake for the mass airflow sensor (a complete no no, but had no choice because we couldn't afford to tow it all the way home) and can you beleive - the car's run great ever since.

Michelle

Reply to
Michelle