90 240 gauge pointer of temperature gauge above middle

Decided to start another thread since it is a different topic.

I also have a 93 240, and I'm used that the gauge pointer of the temperatur gauge is slightly less than middle.

But on my new 90 240, it is much higher than half. I was thinking that the radiator might be clogged with dirt and/or inside is rusted/blocked.

I was thinking to replace it with a brand new radiator. Can I buy one from third party or should I stick with the Volvo oem?

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Someone

I like the Nissens heavy duty radiator myself, it has metal end tanks, unlike the plastic stock tanks that fail catastrophically.

A bad radiator is far from the only thing that can cause it to run hot though. Thermostat, fan clutch, or even the sensor or gauge itself can have problems.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Jon Robertson

I had the voltage regulator at back of instrument panel change, but it did nothing. (That's the voltage regulator for both temp gauge and fuel gauge).

I was thinking to change the thermostat. Will take a look in Chilton & Haynes. If I change it, do I need to flush coolant?

The needle behaves funny. Seems to go to 80% of gauge and then will go down for no reason while I drive at constant speed.

My guess is either thermostat or radiator or both. In my 93 240, the needle is always below 50% and constant, but in the 90 240, when it stabilizes, it goes around 60%.

Thanks for the tips about radiator.

Another question though: If I change the radiator, can I fill it up with the pre-mix stuff you use to top off coolant? Where I live it goes from ~ -30C in Winter to +35C in Summer.

Thanks.

Reply to
Someone

There were several different thermostats available, I've seen similar behavior when a warmer one was put in the car. In this case I would suspect the fan clutch, when that fails you can get similar behavior.

Yeah you can fill up with premix, or you can mix it yourself, it doesn't really matter. You can pick up a hygrometer for testing the coolant mix, it has a suction bulb that draws coolant up into a chamber where a pointer floats depending on the density of the fluid. Ingeniously simple and cheap.

Reply to
James Sweet

If it is the fan clutch, then what should be the proper course of action?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm not too, too mechanically experienced.

Reply to
Someone