'90 245 wagon brakes

i've driven v's since my first 544 in the 60s... been through them all. now, i just bought a 1990 auto wagon w 87K and all is well except the front brakes oscillate. i've checked pads, calipers, disc (as best i could) and found all ok and thought it would work out... after 2K miles, it's still chattering (no sound), and i can't figure out why! ok, after 2months tonight i looked, and it is *not* abs, although that's how it feels... the discs are ungrooved & polished, the pads are at least 80%, the calipers push-in smoothly (no blockage)... what's left? it's not seemingly from only one-side... there's no problem stopping, but it is not right... now that weather permits me to look at it better i'm not sure what to look at or for. At first it seemed like the long resting car just rusted-up the disc... which i cleaned & checked, but after 2000 smiles it's still pulsating when i brake. any suggestions?

thanks,

Reply to
AND Books

Warped rotors?... should be relatively cheap to replace them and see if that solves the pulsation problem.

Reply to
Perry Noid

Pulsing brakes. The never ending quest for solutions. Prior to blaming a rotor read:

look elsewhere. I have had "pulsing" brakes at one time or another onboth my autos. The 85's went away after I changed the pads, polished therotors, and "broke in" the new pads with several increasingly harder nearstops from 60 to 5 followed by a rest of two hours after the last stop. My 90 when I bought it had that "problem" but it still stopped and steered without difficulty. I changed the pads once they were worn, "polished" the rotor, and "broke in" the pads. This reduced but did not eliminate the vibration when braking. Under hard pressure, there was no vibration or pulsing. Only noticable under normal everyday stop pressure.

With 250,000 miles I finally changed the front end bushings, tie rod ends and strut tubes and mounts. Only now do I not have any pulse in the pedal. For mine it was a border line right front tie rod end that was causing the pulse.

Duane

Reply to
Duane