'91 240 Radio Problems

Hi! First, I do want to say that I've poked around here looking for an answer to my question (which actually may have already been answered, but I didn't see/understand it). So if this is a total repeat thing, thank you for answering it yet again!

So, I have a '91 240 sedan whose radio has went all weird on me. The only way I can hear anything is if I turn it up all the way. When I do that, I hear the music really faint and there's loud buzzing on top of the music. I thought it was the antenna (because like a dummy I left it up, went through a carwash, and it broke), so I replaced that. Still sounds the same. Then I thought that the whole thing was just old and kaput since it's the original, except that one day, while I was in traffic it came in all of a sudden crystal clear (and startled the crap out of me) like normal. So, what gives?

I looked on here for wiring diagrams so I could check the wires myself, but knowing pretty much nothing about my car, it made no sense to me at all.

Help!? Please!!! I just want to listen to the radio!

Thanks a bunch, Ruth

Reply to
RUTH!

It sounds like a cracked trace on the circuit board of the radio, or some other loose connection, but I've no doubt the problem lies inside the radio. The problem might lie in a loose connection at a speaker, but then it would need to be *each and every* speaker. Occam's Razor and all that. Speaker connections=probable waste of time. If you can get to the back of the radio, check for loose connections first, as those will prove the easiest to fix (just plug it back in), but in all likelihood, the problem is inside the radio. I don't think even a dealer will fix a radio (they'll sell you a replacement), you might find an electronics repair shop somewhere, or see if your local area has a music store (I mean instruments and amps, not CDs) with a repair shop and bring them the radio. The people who find and fix amps should probably prove able to get this fixed, but probably not cheaply. After all, s/he'll have to just poke and prod and play detective inside the radio, and they deserve to get paid for that time, since once they find it, fixing it will likely only take 30 seconds with a soldering iron.

Reply to
Lane Gray, Czar Castic

I have a '92 940 with the same problem (perhaps). I was hoping someone would come along with a simple answer. :) I've also not seen a hint of it elsewhere.

In my case, the buzzing is very clearly related to the speed of the engine: faster RPM = slightly higher buzz pitch. At idle it's a "clug clug clug."

It also so happens that if I turn the speakers full rear (so the front four speakers are off) the sound goes away completely. If I turn them ever so slightly front the sound returns in full. The volume seems to be independent of the radio volume.

Finally, if on my morning commute I wait long enough (20 minutes seems to do it), I can turn the speakers to the front and there is then no more buzz, as you describe above.

I was going on the assumption that a ground was loose somewhere, or perhaps a speaker wire was grounded into the frame.

My antenna is also broken and I've never played with it, but I would expect that kind of problem to be impacted by the volume of the radio dial.

I'm also toying with the idea that the alternator diodes are going, and since I have to install a new alternator anyway I'll let you know if that solves the problem. I don't really think it will, but it's nice to dream that I'll fix all kinds of problems at once.

I've not done this yet; to me it's just an annoyance (and the back speakers work) but this is probably worth a shot if you care. (Well, and my car has ...other... problems at the moment.)

When I bought the car I was told the radio was broken, and I had planned to get some old computer speakers and a walkman, and plug them into an inverter. Might be worth a shot if you can't get it to work. :) Otherwise if you're in the States, K-Mart and Walmart both have cheap radios in many of their stores...

Good luck!

-TC

Reply to
Tim C

Do you have AM only? Alternator whine shouldn't happen on FM or when playing recorded media (tape or CD, or even if you've gone wierdgeeky enough to get one of those turntables they sold for a few years in the sixties/seventies).

Hmm. Things get curiouser and curiouser. Almost sounds like the alternator (or some other component, but none seem likely) put out RF, which your front (but only the front, more curiouser still) speakers pick up (after all, a voice coil acts like a pretty decent antenna, it has a LOT of wire) and send backwards through your power amp section, it gets rectified and sent back through the power amp whence it came. This sounds like a lot of baloney, but I had it happen to me when I was younger, playing pedal steel in my bedroom. Steel amps generally have about 300W RMS. Ham radio operator about 70 yards from my bedroom just blew my ears off with his call sign. If your front speakers sit in the doors, consider a ground wire from door to frame (the sheet metal of the door should provide adequate shielding, I don't know why it doesn't seem to) to bleed anything off to ground.

Yep. sounds more and more like alternator whine. You've charged your battery by then from the drain of an overnight's worth of ignition-off draw and starting, so the alternator doesnt' put out as much anymore. Please tell me it gets markedly worse at night? If it doesn't, then I need a new theory. Don't make me try to think of one.

Well, *one* wire should be. You might also have a speaker wire with insulation worn off, making it more prone to pick up crap you don't want.

Right, and it would also mean you have crappy AM reception. I enjoy my AM classic country music (I'm probably the only person around here with an MP3 player loaded with Carl Butler, Carl Smith, Cal Smith, Connie Smith, Sammi Smith, Johnny Bush and Darrell McCall) too much to not replace that puppy., but yeah, that should get impacted by volume knob.

If your problem comes from alternator whine, then it might fix it.

Reply to
Lane Gray, Czar Castic

Anyway, the problem has been solved, and it's not at all what I expected.

I replaced the alternator, I think (in retrospect) that it was not _really_ the problem in the first place but it did not help the radio.

Eventually I tracked my _starting_ problem down to a loose ground battery connector; the symptoms: 1) I would sometimes not be able to get the car started (no crank at all, the interior lights didn't come on); 2) I would sometimes get only a very little "whump" when I started the car (interior lights would be on then go off), then nothing as #1; 3) I would sometimes start immediately, no problem at all, all lights on.

Incidentally, the positive terminal of the battery was always hot (in retrospect probably the connector) and there was _lots_ of terminal corrosion.

I replaced the battery, with the same symptoms, but eventually I found that when I jostled the ground cable (connector was tight but apparently the crimp was not) the car would run fine. After hitting a variety of bumps (=one of car reset or dead car) I replaced both connectors with a couple of screw-types from AutoZone.

Since then the radio's been perfect, as has the rest of the car (except a possible loose ground on the dashboard? after rain but not since it dried out...).

My only conclusion is that perhaps one of the +12 wires was loose and was getting noisy power from somewhere else in the system. Since mine was right at the battery connector maybe that's a place to look first...

Good luck if someone else happens to have this problem. :)

-TC

Reply to
Tim C