91 740 non turbo

Thinking of buying a 91 740. Is there anything I should be looking for, and what is it worth? Body is in good shape and it has 260K on the engine.

Reply to
Bjorn Sunde

Value depends largely on location.

Isn't there a FAQ on these? Flame trap, engine seals, etc are worth checking.

Reply to
James Sweet

I paid $1600 for a 1991 740, non turbo, perfect interior, good drivetrain, minor body dents (no rust anywhere) for my wife.

The O/D did not engage: after troubleshooting, replaced the solenoid, changed the fluid, and it works fine.

Only real problem: one of the wires which is soldered onto the in tank fuel pump came loose, causing an on the road failure.

I towed it home, and after troubleshooting, removed the pump and fixed it with a soldering iron.

Keep a spare fuel pump realy in the glove box, and know how to access and replace the relay(s).

Reply to
Mr. V