91 740 Wagon - Dies on starting, then hard to restart

I've got a 91 740 Wagon, 260k miles. Just recently took it in to get some seals replaced (had been leaking oil for a long time, flame guard got clogged, blew out some seals).

When I got the car back, when I would start it, it was prone to dying, and then taking some amount of cranking to get it started. Today I thought I wasn't going to get it restarted at all. I finally waited for a half hour, and it started. However, I had to keep the pedal depressed because it was sort of cutting out, which I guess is the problem with it stalling.

They also replaced the timing belt, but it doesn't seem to be out of time, but I could be wrong.

Its fuel injected, so I can't be flooding it, can I?

Another thought is water in the fuel.

So, what would be causing these rough starts, stalling, and then difficult starting?

Reply to
duh

If the problem started immediately after the timing belt change, then it's possible the timing belt wasn't put on correctly. If it was OK for a while, then as long as the timing belt is tight, that won't be the problem.

Reply to
Mike F

take a look for any vacuum hoses that might have become disconnected while the car was being serviced. Personally, I'd suspect the timing belt was installed incorrectly, but checking hoses is quicker than checking the belt installation!....

Reply to
Perry Noid

Air mass meter failing will cause pretty much these exact symptoms. You could also check the coolant temperature sensor, it's under the intake manifold between #3 and #4 with the blue plug on it. If the resistance is somewhere under about 4K it's probably fine.

Reply to
James Sweet