92 240 AW70 Transmission Late Shifting

Throughout the winter, my accelerator pedal seemed like it was freezing up or something, but once you would stomp it down, it worked normally. However, about a month ago I did this, and then when driving I noticed that the transmission wasn't shifting into 2nd gear as usual. I revved it up a bit, it shifted, and after that it worked fine.

The next time I drove it, it still was shifting late, but now it didn't clear up. I have to get going 40 mph to get it to shift into 2nd gear, and it will shift into 3rd at about 70 mph. It shifts pretty solidly, just not at the right speeds.

I just did a complete 10 qt fluid push through the system using the return line method like recommended at IPD Volvo, and unfortunately it didn't help, although the old fluid looked pretty bad.

Tomorrow I intend to drop the transmission pan and change the filter screen, but at this point I'm not very hopeful that it will correct the condition.

Is there a chance that the throttle cable to the transmission was sticking and subsequently broke (the sticking accelerator pedal)? If so could the transmission throttle cable cause this late shifting behavior if it were broken? Also, is there any kind of computer module which could be the problem.

Just trying to hit all the cheap fixes before I go all in for a new transmission. Any learned advice would be welcome.

Reply to
Douglas

No computer, just the cable. A common problem is for the control cable to stick so it behaves as though the throttle is depressed more than it is. Operate the throttle with your hand - the engine doesn't have to be running - and watch the cable (the one that gets pulled tighter as the throttle is opened) to see if it tries to go slack as you slowly release the throttle. Lubrication with graphite is usually the fix. Please don't use WD-40 if you value your sanity.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Your symptoms of a frozen accelorator cable are exactly those of a stiff or seized kickdown cable which will be making the autobox behave as it is doing..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim.. (Remove Safetycatch)

Thanks guys, that was some good advice if I ever heard some. I'm drinking my coffee now and getting ready to go out and crawl under the thing to change the filter screen today, so I will be sure and take a look at that cable. Sounds to me like thats what is going on.

- Doug

Reply to
Douglas

The kickdown cable was definitely the culprit. I popped the hood and one glance at the throttle spool told me something was up. The cable was slack and was looped around one of the tabs on the spool. I fiddled around with it and worked it back and forth for a bit and it freed it up.

When I went for a test drive it was shifting perfectly, and probably better than before owing to that complete fluid flush yesterday. I'm not going to change the transmission filter today since I dislike crawling around in the snow and spring is on its way soon. I figure I will order a new cable and replace it when I drop the transmission pan to change the screen.

Thanks a ton for the timely advice. Once I knew what to look for that was an easy fix and I doubt the transmission shop would have caught it. That probably saved me $1500 for a completely needless transmission replacement.

- Doug

Reply to
Douglas

O.oh what does WD40 do? not that I'm about to admit I did it.

Reply to
jg

Just doesn't work very well mostly, washes out any existing lube then mostly evaporates itself, it's just too thin to provide much long term lubrication.

Reply to
James Sweet

lubrication.

Well yeah, but often parts have aleady had grease or oil caked with dirt or some rust and "washing" could be a good thing just to get it moving. Just sounded like it eats seals or dilutes trans. fluid or something bad. For mine some parts, like kickdown cables, don't want much lubrication at all... mostly need to be clean.

Reply to
jg

WD-40 is pretty decent for the first year, but as oxygen works on it it turns to a gum much like you see if you fail to wash a corn popper for a few days (not that I'm about to admit I did that!)

Locks are the worst victims of WD-40. I've tried to clean out padlocks that were WD-40'd but nothing seems to work. Using graphite then, especially my favorite Lock Ease which is graphite in kerosene, only makes it gummier. At that point the only thing that seems to work is more WD-40... kind of like heroin for locks. Before it reaches the gummy stage I think any decent cleaner, like brake cleaner, is okay for removing it. (Soft Scrub works on corn poppers.)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Never known that to happen, maybe I just haven't noticed. You have to go looking for graphite here (in Australia) it's nowhere near as ubiquitous as WD40 & friends. Wonder if it has to do with lower temperatures or salt or some other environmental?

Reply to
jg

That's always possible. My experiences with it have been pretty much limited to the Phoenix area, where temperatures are high and humidity is low much of the year. (There are only four months that have never reached 100F in Phoenix, and the weathermen call anything below 110 "sunny." My favorite forecast was "Tomorrow, sunny and cooler, high 113.")

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Oh well it's not cold weather then. Sounds hotter than here..... "Diary of Perth Weather (by a Pom)

August 31st: Just got transferred with work into our new home in Perth!! Now this is a city that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. What a place! I watched the sunset from a deck chair on the verandah. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home. I love it here.

September 13th: Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshiper.

September 30th: Had the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

October 10th: The temperature hasn't been below 30 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least today it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer that I expected.

October 15th: Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

October 20th: I missed Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got to the hot car for lunch, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $3,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran away. The car now smells like Wiskettes and cat shit. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

October 25th: The wind sucks. It feels like a giant bloody blow dryer!! And it's hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30th: Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $450,000 house and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

November 4th: It's 35 degrees. Finally got the ol' air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to 25, but this bloody humidity makes the house feel like it's about 30. Stupid repairman. I hate this stupid place.

November 8th: If another wise arse cracks, "Hot enough for you today?" I'm going to strangle him. Bloody heat. By the time I get to work the car's radiator was boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

November 9th: Tried to run some messages after work. Wore shorts, and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car. I thought my arse was on fire. I lost 2 layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and my arse. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried arse, and baked cat.

November 10th: The weather report might as well be a bloody recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. It's been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn place? Water rationing will be next, so my $2,000 worth of palms just might dry up and blow into the bloody pool. Even the palms can't live in this heat.

November 14th: Welcome to HELL!!! Temperature got to 38 today. Now the air-conditioner's gone in my car. The repairman came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $2,500 house payment to bail my arse out of jail for assaulting the repairman. Bloody Perth.

What kind of a sick demented idiot would want to live here? December 1st: WHAT????? This is the first day of Summer???? You are fu*king kiddin g !

Reply to
jg

I lived in Phoenix when it was 50C (122F), spent a day working under the hood on the A/C in my wife's Dodge when it reached 48C (119F), and remember a morning when the overnight low temperature was 34C (93F). My wife and I were working at a Cub Scout event in the desert the earliest day on record the temperature exceeded 100F (38C)... the first Saturday in spring. I am

*so* glad to be out of Phoenix.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

There are many places here like that, Perth is not so extreme. In the places similar to what you describe, work is often dictated by whether you can touch your tools - they have 3 taps on the showers... one is chilled water.

Reply to
jg