'92 240 factory cassette deck problem

I know, just get a new stereo. But I have my reasons for just keeping this one. See, I got XM radio for the car so that I would have something other than AM radio for my commute. That means all I need is either a functioning FM stereo or cassette deck to have a very nice setup. This stereo has that FM problem that they develop, so using the FM transmission from the XM won't work. Anyway, the idea was that the XM unit has one of those cassette adapter thingies. Problem is, I forgot my cassette deck had this problem where it continually tries to auto-reverse, over and over. I did come up with a solution that seems to be working: I took the XM cassette adapter thingie apart and took the little gears out so that the two sprockets are not connected, and there's therefore no tension difference between the two sprockets to set off the auto-reverse "feature". But I can hear the poor cassette motors running like crazy in there with no servo feedback or however they do it to maintain the speeds of the reel motors. I don't care one shit about that stereo; it's a barely-working POS. But still, if there's a more elegant solution, I'm all for it.

ANYWAY, anyone know enough about cassette decks in those things to tell me if there's anything, a spring or linkage, that I could reach in and disconnect inside the unit, from the front preferably, that would keep it from trying to auto-reverse? Or something I can spray lube on? Or have I already acheived the fix but disconnecting the two reels/sprockets inside the cassette adapter?

XM Radio is pretty dang cool.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

I wonder if that radio is like the one in my '92 960...? If so, it is easily removed and disassembled. The casette portion is a separate assembly and can be easily replaced. You might even be able to just disconnect the motor so that the drive does not run at all. WHen we got our one of the PO's children shoved something in it so that the motor burned out and the unit would not do anything. I bought a cheap one on eBay and just switched the cassette portion of the unit and all was well.

Jeff Olsen wrote:

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.