'92 740 died while idling....

It is the 740 turbo model. It has had an intmt problem with no start (but cranks fine) for a long while, over a year. Come back to it an hour later, starts right up usually. THis time, whatever it is, I think has gone out again and is staying bad.....so now it can be troubleshot. I checked for spark with my inductive spark tester....there is spark votage still going to the plugs. I thought it might be the fuel pump relay. So I rigged up a bypass hotwire direct to the main fuel pump. With the ign on, I can plainly hear something from the rear of the car running...I guess there is a tank-mounted pump also? When you stop cranking the car, I can plainly hear the main pump, the one almost beneath the drivers' seat, running. Then it stops....until you crank again. I took the line loose off the fuel pressure regulator return and fuel came gushing out of it when the car was cranked. So I don't think there is a problem with fuel delivery. I had to check it there rather than at the fuel rail, as I can't get the inlet hose connection (to the fuel rail) apart. SO next I put my noid light (Bosch) tester on each injector. They all flash. But what is the voltage suppose to be? The bulb only glows orange, so there couldn't be more than 2 or 3 volts. Maybe the ECU is pulsing them, but there is a voltage drop, so they are really not opening. The wife said it just died when she was idling, it never overheated or made any strange noise. Also, the timeing hasn't really been checked, but I think when a cr jumps timeing it is when you are starting it up. The upper cover is off, so I can see that the pulleys/timing belt seem fine, normal belt tension.

Since it appears spark voltage is still OK, it has to be inadequate fuel pressure, or injectors not opening, or timing....right?

Reply to
geronimo

On the turbo, the injectors are wired in series with a resistor pack, so they only get a couple of volts. So you have spark and fuel and the engine doesn't run. Well, the only other thing you need is compression. Is it possible the timing belt is broken?

Reply to
Mike F

I'd be double sure about the fuel pumps, filters and clogged lines. The relay is $20 from FCP Groton, so that should be regular maintenance. Distributor, rotor, plugs and wires OK?

Maybe just a bad fuel filter.

ger> It is the 740 turbo model. It has had an intmt problem with no start

Reply to
Jamie

I checked the codes for fuel and igintion, there is none for ign, and it is giving a code for a bad 02 sensor on F.I. test. (it was turning on the check engine light for the first minute of operation each time driven lately). But I think that this would not cause a no start condition. I checked the timing (just running it through with a socket on the pulley bolt with upper timing cover off). At zero on the crankshaft, the mark on the camshaft pulley is about an inch off alignment with the mark on the back of the timing belt housing! This is like four or five teeth off....is this what is keeping it from running? It still feels like there is compression when I turn the crankshaft pulley (spark plugs have not been removed).

Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

I put a tee in for my fuel gauge on the hose that connects direct to fuel rail, there is 45psi while cranking. With ign on, there is somewhat less pressure, I guess from the tank pump. So it has plenty of fuel press. at the rail. I moved the camshaft pulley over abt four teeth to line up the marks, but still does not start. I took off each spark wire and connected up a spare spark plug...all four plugs are getting spark voltage! What else is left? Clogged injectors? But all four would not clog at the same instant. THe car cranks at good speed...the batt is charged up...yet the engine does not even try to fire...it is like the ignition is completely dead....but is not.

I guess I will have to take out no 1 spark plug and check TDC.... it is possible that I set it to the mark at camshaft, but it could now be

180 deg. out. As found, there was enough tension on the timing belt so that on the long open span of it on the right, I could deflect it 1/2 in. in the middle, pushing real hard.

Seems like the only two possibilities....either I set the cam marks with piston on exhaust stroke, or all injectors are clogged up.

Ideas?

Reply to
geronimo

Disconnect the fuel return line at the regulator on the fuel rail and hold a jar under the regulator. Have someone crank the engine, if the fuel pump is pumping then fuel will shoot out. I had a pump fail in a way that it ran but didn't pump so it can happen even if uncommon.

You could also try disconnecting the air mass meter and see if it starts.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hmm ok, so the pump is running, you could pull the fuel rail with the injectors attached and try cranking to see if they spray fuel.

'92 is new enough that the wiring harness should be fine.

Reply to
James Sweet