92 740...how to check O/D solenoid?

Re: 92 Volvo 740 turbo is not going into overdrive:

I removed the O/D solenoid from the side of tranny. WIth iginition ON and O/D button IN to enable O/D, I have good power (test light) right at the solenoid. I have to touch the solenoid to the tranny pan of course, so that it will work. It is drawing quite a lot of amperage, I can tell. However when I cycle power I can feel little if anything as far as a vibration indicating that maybe it is activating. I hewar nothing. I thought it would probably have a very noticeable vibration and "click". The only way I will know for sure if it is good is to somehow see if fluid is alternately passing/not passing through the ports. They are very small, and I don't know how I could do this. I would need some VERY thin plastic tubing of just the right size to jam down into one of the ports. I guess there is a good chance the problem is this solnoid and not the tranny itself. But ...can the kickdown cable be so mis-adjusted as to prevent the O/D from kicking in?

Ideas?

Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

Here is a wonderful 740/940 FAQ site. At the bottom of the page, click on the down arrow on the popup on the right to link to transmissions.

Happy Thaksgiving, joe

Reply to
Joe

It should make a soft click as it engages, and you should then be able to blow air in one of the holes and it will come out the other.

Reply to
James Sweet

Give this URL a shot:

Scroll down to the bottom to the two pull down menus.

joe

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
geronimo

There's an O-ring that seals the solenoid, it may be stuck to the tranny still if you don't see it.

You could flush the tranny yourself, it's not too difficult. Might be worth changing the filter as well, that's an odd problem though, I don't think I've ever come across one that wouldn't shift up. You're sure the kickdown cable and shift linkage are adjusted right?

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
geronimo

Yes, and prevent it from shifting up to other gears as soon as it should.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
geronimo

I've never replaced one, usually they just need cleaning, lubrication and/or adjustment.

Reply to
James Sweet

Geronimo,

I had a 90' 765 that had the OD solenoid fail and I replaced it with one on ebay and it was bad I finally got one that worked but it will prevent the transmission from going in it's final gear. I tried all the methods on Brickboard to determine if it functioned and they all passed. The kick-down cable really has little to do with it. I mean if the cable is at least somewhere in the ball park the tranny will eventually shift. I bet its the solenoid. Those AW 70/71 trannys are bullet-proof. I've never talked to anyone who had one that failed it was usually the electricals that failed.

Bernie Frankl>

Reply to
berns