92 740: which spark plug is best?

I want to replace the OEM type plugs with premium ones. Maybe Bosch Platinum or SplitFire. Whats the best?

Reply to
geronimo

Use good old ordinary NGK plugs, I've had great luck with those, the "premium" plugs are a scam, especially if you have a turbo, my friend spent weeks trying to track down why his Merkur turbo would start bucking and misfiring like crazy under boost, finally a mechanic suggested to replace the Bosch Platinums with plain NGK plugs and the problem went away entirely. Volvo is not a cheap brand, they chose the OEM plugs they did because they work well in the application, not because they're cheap.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
John Robertson

I've been very happy with NGK plugs in Volvos, both the regular kind if you change every 20k miles or so or the more expensive Iridium type if you want to go 50k miles or more.

Recently the Kragen/Checker/etc. chain had the NGK IX Iridiums on sale for $1.99 each, which would be a great deal on a great spark plug.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I'm not a fan of Bosch Platinums. Their small electrode tip seems prone to trouble in some applications. The other makers all have a much more substantial center electrode in their platinum and iridium plugs than does Bosch.

John

Reply to
John Horner

In this case we decided what must have been happening is the boosted air rushing into the cylinders was simply blowing out the spark. I can't think of anything else that would cause it to run as badly as it did. Idled fine with the platinums but once the boost came up all hell broke loose.

Reply to
James Sweet