'92 940GL: 2 Newbie Questions

RH Drive.

1) There is a large diameter corrugated silver hose from something mysterious at the bottom rear of the engine to something equally mysterious just behind and to the left of the radiator. What is it (the hose, that is), and does it matter if it is broken (mine is)? 2) There is a sudden new fluid leak from the engine / transmission, oily lightweight red to clear in colour, coming from somewhere behind the block and possibly closer to the LH side (and possibly not, I don't have a hoist), perhaps 25ml (1 fluid oz). Is there a 'most likely' candidate or should I get someone with a hoist to take a look?

I looked on the Brickboard but I didn't find anything that matched what I was looking for. Is there an engine diagram somewhere that would help me to use the correct part descriptions?

Reply to
Andrew McKenna

1) This is the hot air hose. It takes heated air from around the exhaust and ducts it to the air box, so the incoming air is no colder than 5º C. This is only important when the outside temperature is well below freezing - where you are in Oz this may not be necessary. 2) Red fluid is transmission fluid. This is used in the transmission and power steering, although from your description, it sounds like a transmission leak. There are a few seals that are relatively easy to change, and a couple that require transmission removal. Also, assuming auto trans, there are a couple of pipes that take fluid to the rad to be cooled that can corrode through and start leaking, although these are on the right side.
Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike, very clear reply. I'll fix the hot air hose before winter (it does freeze here), and I'll get the car on a hoist with a clean underside and try and spot the trannie leak.

Reply to
Andrew McKenna