'93 240 master cylinder

Last week, the brakes on my wife's 240 failed several times -- pedal to the floor with no effect. Clearly a master cylinder issue.

Called the dealer -- they only want $749 for the PART!

My mechanics is doing parts and labor for $449.

I know Volvo is proud of their parts but good gollee!

Chuck Fiedler Nothing but Volvo since 1974

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

I never buy any parts straight from Volvo unless I absolutely can't buy it elsewhere.

Last time I did a master cylinder on a 240 I bought the part for under $100 from FCP Groton, installing it took about 10 minutes, bleeding the brake system to get all the air out took another hour since I wasn't at home and was using a crappy little jack and hand tools to take the wheels off.

Reply to
James Sweet

From vlvworld.com

Brake master cylinder, includes reservoir and cap, for 240 from 1992 to

1993 with ABS brakes 24092-93SC3530972 New $150.70

A master cylinder for my NON-ABS 89' is $100 & change

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Reply to
Michael Baldwin
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I rather suspect that I could have gotten the part cheaper than what it cost through my mechanic but couldn't wait for the part to be shipped.

Reply to
Chuck Fiedler

Even the Indy price sounds a touch high. eeuroparts.com has the original ATE manufactured master cylinder for $160. Your shop needs to make a profit on the part, so they probably charged you $200-$250 for the part. The replacement including brake flush should be an under 1.5 hour job.

I'm sure glad I do my own work!

P.S. Were you having the brake fluid regularly changed out every few years? Volvo recommends it, but not many people get it done. I've yet to see a master cylinder failure in a vehicle which routinely gets fresh clean fluid.

Reply to
John Horner

Check online sources like eeuroparts.com, rockauto.com, and fcpgroton.com and you can do your own research.

Reply to
John Horner