93' 240DL work truck???

I have one of these lovely cars and I use it to work on cable television. I carry a 24ft ladder on the roof and drive through overgrown and trashed out allys.

I need to know the best and or cheapest or coolest way to jack the vehicle up so that I can stop ripping my exhaust off every week and I need more ground clerance anyways.

I suppose that skid plates would be cool cause then I could just snow board everywhere. hehe

Reply to
Rich_not

Well the first thing that comes to mind is that if I had one of the somewhat coveted '93 (last year made) 240's I certainly wouldn't be using it as a work truck, a beater early 80's model is better for that.

Aside from that, somewhat larger tires and heavy skid plates are probably the way to go.

Reply to
James Sweet

Maybe you could come up with some spacers for the rear coil springs to raise it a couple of inches. KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

This may be a stupid idea, but if you are really using it as a truck and do not care what it looks like....maybe you could weld the exaust up through the hood....sort of like a diesel truck....maybe even have one of those cool flapps on top............have fun.....sno

Rich_not wrote:

Reply to
sno

This doesn't help you out at all... but as a point of interest:

Saw a Volvo "work truck" 740 GLE last week, with a heavily weather worn

500,000 Km club sticker on the trunk, exposed steel beam as a rear bumper (the factory installed beam... the plastic cover just fell off I guess, as it looked torn)... The suspension wasn't even sagging under the weight of all the crap they had in back, the only thing amiss on the whole car really was the exhaust was incredibly loose.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

With 11 years of driving and hauling the load that you sound like you carry, what you probably have is worn suspension. Get a set of gas struts for the front and gas shocks for the rear. That's the best way, probably. The cheapest is to get an air chisel, remove the fenders, radiused about 40 inches from the hubs, and install 32x12 Bridgestone all terrain tires... ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvo '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I would be really like to recommend that you start by re-thinking over the idea of raising the suspension? It's a bad idea to unnaturally alter the geometrical angles of this car's suspension. Rather use another car as a truck, like a real truck? The car's suspension may be sagging, so replacing what causes it to sag, along with suspension bushings, and especially those hard to get bolts out of bushings. Struts not just the gas shock part of strut but good used struts trhat will hold the car at its original height, then get IPD shocks for rear,and/or air shocks (adjustible) automatically adjusting if available would be ideal. Remember this car with stock tires P185/70R14 can not handle too much weight, the next thing I might try is a 15" rim that will fit the space limitation and install a higher rated tire in 15" size. But all in all I do not recommend using it like a truck anyway. Good luck

Reply to
dan

You guys are nucking futs... And no help whatsoever... hehe.

The award for best idea is the exaust throught the hood and plazma cut the fenders off.

Reply to
Rich_not

Im gonna try puttin some spacers in with the springs if its not too much work...

And by the way. the car is in very good condition for the year...

Reply to
Rich_not

Reply to
Rob Guenther

What you're looking for is a 1/2 ton truck.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Maybe that's what he "needs" but that wouldn't be nearly as novel an idea as using an old Volvo for a work truck.

That's one of the reasons I may keep the old '81 Volvo wagon I have, is to use it as a pickup. It's got loads of room in the back. KennyH