'93 245 tailgate power lock failure.

Hi,

The power locking system works perfectly when the tailgate is *up*, locking and unlocking. (Checked with the inner panel removed.) . When the tailgate is *down*, the sliding rod which accomplishes the locking and unlocking doesn't move, or doesn't move enough. It appears to stick, despite being well lubed along with all other parts that need it.

Mystified. Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Replace the wiring harnesses that run through the tailgate hinges. It's a very common problem on 245s, and over time all the powered devices in the tailgate will fail.

Reply to
James Sweet

if it doesn't move at all, and you don't hear the solenoid trying to move it, you probably have an intermittant wire in the harness that runs thru the hinge. When the tailgate is up, the wires connect, but when you close the tailgate, the wires are pulled apart enough that they don't connect, so no power gets to the solenoid. I have a similar intermittant problem with my center brake light, which works most of the time with the tailgate closed, but usually does not light when I open the tailgate ('89 240 wagon)... so far, I've been able to postpone the inevitable replacement of the harness....

Reply to
Perry Noid

Thanks James and Perry. I sat on the floor in the back and closed the hatch, then had my good wife operate the power locks. I couldn't hear or feel any movement of the solenoid mechanism. I guess I'll have to bow to the inevitable ............... sometime. Yet, how soon these conveniences become necessities!

I've had the harness replaced twice since the car was new.... five years apart. Da**it!! It isn't due....... Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

This time when they replace the harnesses, tell them to place a small nut (#6 fits just fine)under the wires at the seam between the tailgate and the body before they replace the hinge on the body. Tape it to the body. This puts a bit of extra wire at the most flex point so the closed gate does not pull and stretch the wires.

The last harness I did this to is still functional after eight years.

Or after you get the car back, remove the corners of the headliner at the back rear, close the tailgate, go inside through a side door and release the bolts that hold the hinge in place. Go outside through the side door, lift the hinge and place the nut under the wire, then reset the inge to the body. Go inside through the side door and replace the hinge bolts. Open tailgate and replace headliner.

Sorry to be specific about entering and exiting through the side door. Someone who tried this trick actually opened the gate with the hinges off.....

Duane

Reply to
Duane

Thanks Duane.

Sounds like good advice........... especially the bit about entering through the side door!

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Well you could check the wires for continuity, it's possible something else is at fault.

Those hinge wires are a really stupid design, it's one of those few times where I have to think what the heck was Sven smoking when he decided to do it like that? The next time the wires break on my mom's 245 I think I'll try using silicone insulated test lead wire and see how that holds up.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks James. Tougher wire should help. Re continuity, the solenoid works when the tailgate is up, so there must be continuity there, but not when the tailgate is down.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Oh, duh, forgot that part, yeah replace the wires and you should be in business.

Reply to
James Sweet