93 850 tighten parking brake

Hello all,

I have already used the hex-head screw behind the parking brake under the pop-off cover, to tighten the parking brake. I've gone all the way with it, which I have been told means that I have to go tighten up the cable with some kind of adjustment at each of the rear brake drums.

I'll assume you back-off the parking brake hex screw by the parking brake, then tighten the cables by the rear brake drums, then re-tighten the hex head nut to get the parking brake tight again.

I've never done the part back by the parking brake drums - could someone please advise with details?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Pretty much but you don't need to do anything with the nut inside the car, or at least, you didn't need to! I'd slacken that off to where it was and then take each rear wheel off in turn.

You'll find a hole in the drum part of the disc, turn that to roughly the top and you might find it easier to use a torch to find the adjuster through the hole.

Basically the shoes are seperated out by a threaded rod and a long nut with wings on it, you need to flick the wings down to tighten the shoes and up to release them.

Turn this adjuster until the disc locks then back if off a quarter of a turn and check that the wheel rotates freely.

The actual official Volvo procedure might specify this slightly more but I have to say that when I last took my 850 to a Volvo dealer for a service they had it adjusted so that the handbrake locked on just 1 ratchet click which didn't feel right at all.

Immediately after the service, I replaced all discs and pads and with the normal adjustment procedure, the handbrake was back to a few clicks which felt much better.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

You may also find that the friction material has rusted off the shoes, that's why you need so much adjustment. I'd remove the rear rotors just to make sure everything is OK inside.

Reply to
Mike F

Yes and a handy tip is to use the adjuster to wind in the shoes before trying to pull the disc off otherwise they'll likely just bind on the ridge that will no doubt have formed.

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor