'93 850 won't start

I have a '93 850 GLT w/ 200k miles that was running great. Now it will turn over but won't start. I replaced the spark plugs before this all happened and started up for a minute- it ran fine. 2 days later I went to start and it doesn't fire up. I pulled 2 plugs to see a healthy spark in each and put a little gas in each cylinder but still it won't fire. Have had a service light on for a couple of weeks but thought that was just a maintenance warning. Is there some electronic gotcha that's preventing the engine from running and am I at the mercy of towing it to a dealer? How do I clear service light? Stevo

Reply to
stevo

Steve,

I had the same thing 2 times. It was the fuel pump relay in both cases. The relay is behind the ash tray and the fuse block. If you tap the relays back there while trying to start it may actually start a few times before the relay jambs again. I think it was the relay in the middle. If you get it to run, take 1 relay out at a time, the one that stalls the car is the fuel pump.

low cost item if you do it.

good luck

BobZ

Reply to
RATZ

I finally got my car started, but can't pin down magic cure. I checked the pressure valve on the fuel injector and got a small squirt of gas- wasn't sure if this was supposed to spray out with more force? Tapped the relays which are located under hood up against the driver's side windshield and the fuel pump thru access door in trunk. Then cranked over many times for short periods (put charger on in between to avoid killing battery)- didn't want to ruin my starter either! Also pulled the plugs again and dried off. When it started I let it run for 10 minutes and took out on highway for 10 miles. Have put on 100 miles since and started cold and hot without any more problems. Didn't replace anything and saved tow charges. So was it flooded? relay stuck? or valves stuck in the cold as told to me by another person?? Thanks for suggestions. Steve

Reply to
stevo

sounds like fule pump issue......when (if) it does it again...just tap the fule pump (under the drivers seat) mine did this and once tapped, it started right up...indicating the pump was about to "meet its maker"......

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

"richbonilla1" wrote: > sounds like fule pump issue......when (if) it does > it again...just tap the fule pump (under the drivers seat) > mine did this and once tapped, it started right > up...indicating > the pump was about to "meet its maker"......

Where exactly is the Fuel Pump located at, plz?

I have the exact same proble.

Volvo 1993, GLT 220K miles.

Reply to
Dober_99

"Dober_99" wrote: > Where exactly is the Fuel Pump located at, plz? > > I have the exact same proble. > > Volvo 1993, GLT 220K miles.

WOW. Problem solved - short term of course.

In short it was raining for the past few days and it was very humid, and yes you guessed it, my Volvo didn?t like it.

I need to replace the distributor cap along with the wiring and the plugs, all of this is fine. However the solution to start my car was new to me, but it seems my friends new about this trick, but of course didn?t mention it to me when I NEEDED IT.

The towing guy sprayed half a can of WD-40, seems it removes all humidity from the wires and the dis. cap.

hahaha, I feel like an idiot, but at least I can drive my car to the garage now.

Hope this helps another poor soul like me. :)

Reply to
Dober_99