'93' 940 Brake failure warning light.

Greetings All Yesterday my 940 (130k miles) displayed the brake failure light on the instrument panel when applying the brakes. Checking the veh' book it stated the fluid may be low. The fluid level is ok showing no loss of fluid. Today when starting the veh' the brake failure light is on all the time. I have again checked the fluid level, it's ok with no loss of fluid. The brakes work ok, the pedal 'feel' and movement are normal, I have not gone over any holes or bumps or clipped the kerb. There are no strange smells or noises when driving or applying the brakes, there are no 'tell tale' signs of fluid on the floor or around the brake disc/pads. I do not undertake any harsh/sudden braking or handbrake turns. My veh' as been regulary serviced and maintained to Volvo standards. Any advice or guidence as to why the warning light should suddenly come on and stay on will be much appriciated. Many thaks Rob.

Reply to
Robert

Hi Rob,

Robert schrieb:

break pads worn out?

Roland

Reply to
Roland Messerschmidt

Possible imbalance in the system: see

Or, a failing master cylinder.

Reply to
Mr. V

This indicates a pressure difference in the 2 brake hydraulic circuits. If both reservoir halves are full, then look for a leak in the circuits somewhere. If there is no leak, then the master cylinder is bad (fluid leaking past the piston back into the reservoir) or the warning switch is faulty, or its wiring is shorted to ground.

Reply to
Mike F