'93 940 NA w/Regina

Hello Folks,

I'm having a hunting idle problem with my Regina. I've cleaned the throttle body, IACV, electrical connectors, put in a new flame trap, checked for vacuum leaks and reset the TPS several times. I need some help and guidance. I'm getting a fault code of 2-3-3 (idle valve closed).

Here's what's going on.....With the car cold, it starts right up and sometimes the idle will bounce between 500 - 1000 rpm. It doesn't do it all the time and it doesn't stall. When I put it in gear, the idle will drop to about 500 and then stumble up to about 800. If I rev the engine when cold to about 2000, on the way back down it momentarily sticks at 1500 before dropping down to 800. When the car is warm and I rev to 2000, the idle sticks at 1500 and fluctuates between 1500 and

2000. The only way to drop the idle back to 800 is to put it in gear.

The coolant temp sensor's resistance at about 45F is 8300 ohms. I believe this is high. The IACV's resistance is 4 ohms. I believe this is correct. The throttle switch resistances seem to be correct (open-infinte, closed-0). I plugged the connector into the IACV several times and can see the plunger quickly move off its rest position and back to it. With the IACV unplugged, car warm and revving engine, there is no hiccup at 1500 rpm on the way down. With IACV plugged in, car running and inlet hose from air filter box removed from IACV, there is a noticable amount of air being sucked into the IACV from the open inlet when revving via the spool. The only way to stop the fluctuating 1500 - 2000 idle at this point is to stop the air from being sucked in at the open IACV inlet. The idle then settles down. When on the road, the car runs nicely and there is no hesitation. Gas mileage is not great, about 20 mpg on the highway.

Any ideas?

Thank you, Bob

Reply to
Bob

If the IAC is good, disconnect and plug or pinch off the air inlet hose going to the IAC. Jumper the throttle position switch to closed(0 ohms). Assuming the throttle housing and plate is clean, with the engine at running temperature, adjust the idle to 400-450 rpm. Shut off the motor. Adjust the TPS so that it clicks when the throttle is opened and there is a gap of 1/16" or more between the throttle spool stop and it's bracket. Reconnect the the plug on the TPS. Start the engine. Reconnect the IAC inlet air hose. Start the engine. The idle should be about 850 rpm.

If not, wiggle the connector on the coolant temp sensor and see if there is any change in the idle. If not then try and clean the IAC or replace it.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench