94 850 High beams dont stay lit

Im thinking it's the switch.

When I turn on the headlights and pull the dash highbeams stick towards me the highbeams go on, but as soon as I let go of the stick, they go off.

This stick also controls the cruise control, which also doesnt seem to work, I turn the CC on and press either the up or down button at the end of the stick, but it doesnt set the speed.

Could these both be cured by replacing the stick itself or is there something else that is common to cause both these problems.

Thanks,

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058

If my headlight switch is turned off, my headlights are on and the high beam stalk just flashes the high beams as you describe. If the headlight switch is turned on, my headlights are on and the high beam stalk toggles the high beams on and off as you desire. Maybe your headlight switch is bad.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

My 1993 850 has a headlight relay the controls both the lo and hi beams. It's possible that the relay itself is bad.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

i have a similar problem - my CC doesnt work either. i suspect something more involved, so when i have a little money ill visit the Volvo dealer and get an opinion.

if your hibeam lights dont stay lit, there is a problem with your relay or switch. Have a mechanic look at it. This is a safety item so you shouldnt delay.

cheers! steve

Reply to
steve sedlis

There's a hard plastic vacuum pipe under the battery that is susceptible to damage from battery acid/acid fumes. Replace the damaged section with rubber hose and your cruise control will likely return to normal operation.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Dietz

Thanks Bob, I was wondering if the cruise control was vacumn driven like my old 300zx, since I see lots of corrosion on the battery plate, chances are you are correct and I will check tommorrow morning.

As for the headlights, well..... They work, but the lights have to be on for about 3 to 5 seconds before the highbeams will engage. Weird huh?

"Robert Dietz ioip.com>" > > i have a similar problem - my CC doesnt work either.

Reply to
GamePlayer No. 1058