'94 850 Horn Ground wire

I have a 1994 850 whose horn would not stop blowing last night. I pulled over and took out the fuse as a temporary fix, unfortunately it seems that fuse also goes to the windshield wipers. After speaking with a friend he suggested I disconnect the ground wire for the horn to make it stop so I can use my windshield wipers. Problem is that friend could not tell me where the wire is, any insight? I just need a temporary fix until my car goes in for scheduled maintenance (timing belt, cv joints) at the end of the month. Seeing that I am in Chicago, it could rain any second so I need those wipers...

Trent

Reply to
trent

Just pull out the connectors from each horn.

Reply to
Jarkka

Right. The horn is wired so that it always gets power (when the ignition is on) and is grounded by the switch on the steering wheel. There is a common problem on 850s where the insulator where this wire is protected from grounding on the hub of the steering wheel breaks, causing the horn to blow all the time. This 10 cent part is not available separately, the approved Volvo fix is a new steering wheel! Of course, an enterprising DIYer can fix this.

Reply to
Mike F

You can get a kit from ipduse

which has the plasticwashers and contacts as well as a DVD showing how to replace it. Iagree that the parts aren't worth the $69 that they charge, but theDVD was helpful so unless you can get the parts elsewhere, it may beworth the $69 to get the video.

Reply to
Mark from Geneva

4 Screws needed Volvo Part #9157407-9 Reference Service Bulletin # 64-802 if you can not get a copy I will post 1@ you send it or if anyone else needs a copy post back & I will post a link Glenn
Reply to