94 850 outside air temp sensor problem

The air temp sensor started acting up a few weeks ago. It still worked at speeds under 35 miles an hour but above that it seemed to be affected by wind chill. Eventually, while driving on the freeway I got a read out of -40 degrees when the actual outside temp was 50 degrees F. When I slowed down, the temperature returned to the correct outside temp. When I turned the engine off, the reading would be correct upon start up. Now after a 4 hour trip at highway speeds, the temp reads LO at all times and all speeds. I need advice about fixing this. Is it something I can do myself? (I have minor mechanical skills.) If not, how much will the dealer charge? I'm the original owner of this car. It has 86,000 miles and has been a great car (knock on wood). All repairs and maintenance have been done by Roger Beasley Volvo in Austin, Texas but I recently moved to Corpus Christi and don't know anything about the local Volvo dealer. There aren't many Volvos around here - mostly Ford and Dodge pickup trucks so I don't know who to ask about a good Volvo mechanic. Any help would be appreciated.

Sandy

Reply to
S Bockelman