'94 850 stickey accelerator peddle

I have a '94 850 wagon. The accelerator peddle sticks frequently. When I try to use it I usually have to push on it fairly hard which can cause a jack rabbit start or acceleration.

Where are he lube points I need to check. This is not the turbo version.

Thanks Dunc

Reply to
Dunc

This is a well known problem. Routine dealer maintenance should prevent the problem. The solution is to clean the throttle body. A buildup of deposits causes excessive friction with the throttle lever. Our dealer has further found that adjusting the throttle so that it doesn't quite go completely off will help prevent the problem.

It is a very dangerous problem if one uses cruise-control. What happens is that when you go down a hill with cruise-control on, the throttle will go to the off position. Then at the bottom of the hill the cruise-control will not be able to resume control until the car has slowed down enough to cause a large force on the throttle which causes very high unexpected acceleration back up to the set-point when the force overcomes the sticking. It is scary.

I have a posting on this on my Volvo website.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Thanks Steve...

That is VERY helpful.

Reply to
Dunc

I had to change the throttle cable on my '98 S70 (same as 850) to restore total throttle smoothness.

Reply to
Mike F