94 940 sunroof drain noise?

Today I was driving rapidly in very heavy rain. Every now and again this very troubling sound would come from over my left ear (US car) I figured it was the sound of water draining somewhere, like a sunroof drain? The roof was closed but every now and again that gurgly sound would happen.

When I opened the roof (going 70 MPH not too much rain comes in...) the sound would not happen but I can not rule out the wind noise from the sunroof drowning out the gurgle...

Am I correct? Is this 'normal' or a problem. If it's fixable how to do it?

Thanks

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Just ensure that the sunroof drains are clean and clear by passing a thick and flexible wire down each one at front and up each one at rear (pre-measure the length which will just clear the upper and/or lower extremities). Then run some water down the drains at the front to see if there is any "pooling" at the guttering around the sunroof. It could just be the wind blowing some water back up the front tubes when it cannot get away fast enough. Also make sure that the front drains exit vertically downwards between the fender sections (inner and outer). Problems of this nature can be very annoying if there seems to be no reason for their happening.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes