94-940 volvo transmission problems

We have a 94 940 Volvo wagon with auto transmission with electric overdrive. Now the car will not shift to overdrive and will go only arond 40 mph and seems like it is stuck in some gear. We are on a fixed income and can't afford to hie someone to fix it. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem myself. I have worked on older cars but this one's got me. Thanks for any help. Alan

Reply to
iveyf05

Even without overdrive, you should be able to get up to 80+ mph without hitting the redline, your fuel consumption will be much higher though.

Is the yellow arrow lit on the dash? Does it shift normally through the first three gears?

Reply to
James Sweet