940 auto: How do you remove the shifter handle?

I need to get inside shifter well of my '95 940. While removing the center console for a good cleaning, emergency brake adjustment, and putting everthing back together, I noticed that the shifter lamp was no longer working. I have no idea how that happened (I wasn't messing around with the shifter), but I had to remove the console again to get back in there. I found the lamp (not easy to access and replace, but doable). In the process of doing this, I lost my shift interlock button somewhere at the bottom of the shifter well. I can feel it down there with my finger, but I can't see it with that big plastic plate under the shifter. If I could remove just the handle portion of the shifter, slide off the plate, I could better look of the inside and probably fish out the plastic interlock button, replace the lamp,. etc.

I don't see a screw or anything that allows you remove the handle. And the garbage repair manual I have (Chiltons) doesn't seem to mention how to do this.

Can someone describe or point me to the procedure?

Thanks in advance for any help?

Reply to
Aleric

You'd be better off fishing around in the bottom with some duct tape on a stick than pulling the shifter apart.

Bob

Reply to
radietz