940 Crank Sensor

I have a 1994 940 and the crank sensor has broken off the back off the gearbox.

What is the purpose of the crank sensor and can it be bypassed?

Thanks

Reply to
clivegthompson

In a word...NO.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

I doubt the engine runs now. The sensor is not easy to replace when it breaks off, but I believe it can be replaced without removing the gearbox. Be sure to write down for future use the words you invent while trying to get the broken piece out ;-)

Reply to
Michael Pardee

FWIW, I just replaced the crank sensor and sensor bracket on my 1990

740 B230F w/ Regina/Rex ignition/fuel system & M47 5 speed.

I had to replace the bracket because I broke the cheesy little thing while trying to get the sensor out.

I believe the 940 is the same engine so be forewarned bracket is very weak and in general poorly designed.

Don't make the same mistake; it required removing the gear box. I did not drop it completely, just dropped the shaft and pulled it back a bit.

Make sure you use antiseize compound at assembly.

My mechanic suggested after the fact to melt/burn out the broken sensor with a propane torch

jimB

-------------------------------------------- JimB

-------------------------------------------- my SPAM defense: Replace all the X's in email address with M

Reply to
jimb

I broke mine too, the bracket/bell housing insert is a bit thin. I tried to lock the flywheel here for head job (works great on 360s). I just hot melt glued it back on with a bit of supporting plate over the top, intending to fix it properly later and havn't bothered in about 2 years, its still fine.

It is needed and the engine won't work without it. I think you can just buy a new bracket, I must get round to that.

Reply to
Tony Stanley

I must live a charmed life.

My wife's 740 NA w/ Regina wouldn't start.

I figured the crank sensor was the culprit, so I got a used one from a U Pull It (I love those places; having not removed one before, I "experimented" on the hulk, and replaced it.

It was a five minute job, easy access from above to the 10mm bolt; the bolt came out and then the sensor slid out, easy as you please.

No bracket issues to deal with.

*phew...dodged a bullet*
Reply to
zencraps

I must live a charmed life.

My wife's 740 NA w/ Regina wouldn't start.

I figured the crank sensor was the culprit, so I got a used one from a U Pull It (I love those places; having not removed one before, I "experimented" on the hulk), and replaced it.

It was a five minute job, easy access from above to the 10mm bolt; the bolt came out and then the sensor slid up and out, easy as you please.