940 Front Brake Caliper Bolts Tight

I could use some helpful advice on removing the front brake caliper bolts from a 940. My goal is to relpace the well-worn front brake rotors, and to do so requires removal of the caliper, which in turn requires the removal of the caliper bolts.

I tried WD-40 and another type of penetrating oil, and yet they will not budge. Is there a useful trick for removing them that I am not aware of? Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

GMan

Reply to
GMan

The bolts on my '93 960 were also quite tight even though it had been about one year since they were last removed (Girling calipers, I think). I have to assume that you are also replacing the pads. WD40 is not going to do it. You need to get a penetrant oil (like "Liquid Wrench") and apply it about every ten or fifteen minutes for a couple of hours. Then take a hammer and tappity tap tap like playing drums on the bolt head about every half hour during this process. The vibrations will help break up the rust and corrosion. Then try applying a slowly increasing torque to the bolt. Also try tightening it JUST A BIT and then loosening, and repeating that over and over. Then start the process over again.

When putting it back together, clean the threads of the caliper and clean (or replace) the bolts, and use some quality anti-seize on the threads. Of course, it goes without saying, that anti-seize on the pads or rotors is counterproductive. from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.